Old Pump ID

ΚΞΝΖΘ

Sep 13, 2019
SoCal
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to ID the old 90's pump we had to get an idea of the performance we had vs the new IntelliFlo VSF we replaced it with. We were told it was a Sta-Rite by the installer, but not sure what model. It's a 1HP or 1.65THP pump. Anyone know what it is? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4117.JPG
    IMG_4117.JPG
    505.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    494.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4120.JPG
    IMG_4120.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 12
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_691c.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_691c.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
K,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to learn all about how your pool equipment should work... :shark:

I'm puzzled why you would care??? Your old pump was a single speed pump and the IntelliFlo is a VS pump.. There is almost no comparison....

What is it that you are trying to determine?

Electrical costs should be about 90% less per operating hour.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's interesting from an academic perspective but not super helpful for actual real world utility.

Pumps were originally chosen by builders based on no real science. They just guessed based on what sounded about right.

They would choose an oversized pump just to be safe.

They weren't going to pay for the electricity, so they didn't really know or care what the power usage was.

With a VS pump it's all about minimizing the total amount of electricity used.

That means running at the slowest speed possible that still does what you need.

Mostly, skimming, activating a SWG's flow switch or providing enough flow for solar or gas heating.

Typically you can run at 15 to 20 gpm unless you're heating. For heating, you want about 40 gpm or the minimum specified for the equipment per the manual.

Last edited:
When replacing an original pump, many people try to match the performance of the original pump and the new pump under the assumption that the builder must have carefully selected the pump to be exactly right for the system.

The truth is that that's almost never the case.

Most builders just put on a pump that was way overpowered.

Any time that a new pump is installed, the performance should be rethought to make sure that it's correct for the application and that it uses the least amount of power and total energy possible.

Great 411 & GTK, TY James! Would 15-20gpm be sufficient for ideal 2 turnovers in 24hrs in 20k pools? I think for 2 turnovers in 24hrs, I needed 28GPM. I have PV (currently w/o battery) so running the pump during daylight would be less costly & ideal. I'm also hoping some downtime for the pump/ motor would help with less wear & tear & increase in longevity/service life. It's all about achieving that optimal balance ⚖ ☯

K,

The idea that you have to "turnover" your pool water X times a day is just an old myth and completely unnecessary... Chemicals are what keeps your pool clear and sanitized and not the number of times the water passes through the filter. The filter is just there to capture what falls into your pool, like grass and leaves etc.

See this article... Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ken,

Welcome to TFP and thanks for the questions. In just a few short responses our experts have demonstrated why TFP is so valuable to ordinary pool owners. There is so much information spread by people and sites that should have experts with the latest proven science but often they just don't. A good example of this are the "number of turns" for sizing pumps. Some have it right and most don't. But as a new pool owner how would you know which is which? Answer is check here before you buy as you have done.

Thanks again for the post and good luck to you!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.