Old polymer sided inground pool needs new coping....

Gantman

May 13, 2024
St. Louis, MO
Hi -
1st time poster... Below are 2 pics of my 20x40 polymer sided inground pool with vinyl liner. The concrete settled so much over the years that I had to tear out the decking this year to repour because the settling absolutely tore up the pool coping and some wall damage. However, the coping is part of the one-piece polymer walls. I've taken the liner track out and i will fiberglass the cracks, etc. My question is, do I just saw off the top part of wall consisting of the bull nose coping and then try to either attach new coping or just pour new decking and use bricks/stone for my coping? I will put in a new liner track but the cut would be just above the existing track in the pick below. I'm
pool pic 2.jpg
pool pic 1.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

Attach new coping to what?

After you saw off the top part of the wall it sounds like you are laying whatever material you use on the ground up to the edge of the pool.

Put an expansion joint in so the deck can move independently from the pool and not cause the problem again.

Ouch! That looks painful! Looks like you backfilled with dirt? Settling/compaction and/or erosion probably caused your deck to sink. Really should have used gravel. Anyway, if the coping really is part of the wall itself, it doesn't appear to be structurally relevant, at least.