Old Pentair Lights not working

Jul 21, 2015
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have two Pentair lights, that look like they are 20 years old (images attached). I replaced the bulbs about 4 years ago with LEDs when they burned out, and they have worked well since. Unfortunately, this season the lights would not come on, and I noticed there was some water within the lights. I bought new gaskets, and let the lights dry out. The lights seemed to work on the deck, but after reinstalling Light 2, I noticed Light 1 was going in and out like it had a bad contact.

I checked Light 1 and the bulb came apart as I unscrewed it and there was a good amount of rust. I bought a new LED and cleaned the rust as best I could with steel wool, electric contact cleaner spray, eraser, and rubbing alcohol, but the light won't come back on, and after I pulled the bulb and cleaned Light 1, Light 2 stopped going on as well.

I noticed when I took Light 2 back out the green grounding cable had come unattached from the niche. I'm not sure if that is causing the not to come on again. That socket for Light 2 was rusty as well, but that light at least was coming on.

I called around, and quickest/most reasonable service company to come out was Leslie's, but they said I need to drain the pool past the lights for service.

So my questions are:
1. Is it possible the lights are not coming on because they detect the grounding wire has come undone?
2. Is there anything else I may be missing and should look into?
3. Am I risking damage to the vinyl liner if I drain the pool past the lights that much so they can service it (they are standard height) ?
4. Am I crazy to try to service these lights given their age and corrosion, or should I just get them replaced?
4.a. Would current Pentair lights fit in these old Pentair niche's?

20230710_100604.jpg20230710_100609.jpg20230724_121314.jpg

I have two Pentair lights, that look like they are 20 years old (images attached). I replaced the bulbs about 4 years ago with LEDs when they burned out, and they have worked well since. Unfortunately, this season the lights would not come on, and I noticed there was some water within the lights. I bought new gaskets, and let the lights dry out. The lights seemed to work on the deck, but after reinstalling Light 2, I noticed Light 1 was going in and out like it had a bad contact.

I checked Light 1 and the bulb came apart as I unscrewed it and there was a good amount of rust. I bought a new LED and cleaned the rust as best I could with steel wool, electric contact cleaner spray, eraser, and rubbing alcohol, but the light won't come back on, and after I pulled the bulb and cleaned Light 1, Light 2 stopped going on as well.

I noticed when I took Light 2 back out the green grounding cable had come unattached from the niche. I'm not sure if that is causing the not to come on again. That socket for Light 2 was rusty as well, but that light at least was coming on.

I called around, and quickest/most reasonable service company to come out was Leslie's, but they said I need to drain the pool past the lights for service.

So my questions are:
1. Is it possible the lights are not coming on because they detect the grounding wire has come undone?
2. Is there anything else I may be missing and should look into?
3. Am I risking damage to the vinyl liner if I drain the pool past the lights that much so they can service it (they are standard height) ?
4. Am I crazy to try to service these lights given their age and corrosion, or should I just get them replaced?
4.a. Would current Pentair lights fit in these old Pentair niche's?

View attachment 516587View attachment 516588View attachment 516589
Green wire is the bond wire. That won't affect a light's function. You need new fixtures as the water has made them unsafe to continue to use. Lights can be replaced without draining the pool, but to re-attach the bond would require it most likely. The light assembly is still the same and a new one will fit.

Last edited:
I noticed when I took Light 2 back out the green grounding cable had come unattached from the niche.
It is highly unlikely that you will be able to reattach the ground wire (aka bonding jumper).

The lights should be replaced.

I would switch to low voltage lights if the ground wire cannot be easily reattached because low voltage lights do not require a ground wire.

Thanks for the replies. Just to verify, this is the green bonding wire, which they may need to lower the water to fix?

Also to verify, it shouldn't be an issue for the vinyl to lower the pool water past the lights?20230724_142600.jpg

Just to verify, this is the green bonding wire, which they may need to lower the water to fix?
Ok. That is a supplemental ground, which is only required for 120 volt lights.

If you can reconnect it, fine, if not I would go to low voltage lights that do not require a ground.

The bond wire should be connected to the back of the niche and it is not visible.
Also to verify, it shouldn't be an issue for the vinyl to lower the pool water past the lights?
Depends on the ground water level.

Thanks. To be clear, you think it could be possible to reconnect the ground without lowering the water level?

I'm over 150 feet above sea level, so I'm not worried about that. I thought draining a vinyl pool could cause the vinyl to fail, but maybe not an issue for only a 2-3 foot drop?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.