Old DE filter leaking, help me buy a Cartridge filter

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
I turned up the pump speed to 2800 rpm and heard the band clamp go “pop” and then water was spewing every where from that seam. Good thing I was standing there.

The Hayward DE filter is probably 30 years old at this point. I’m thinking of going with a cartridge filter so I don’t need to use cellulose / media that makes a mess when cleaning.

The pool is about 21k gallons, I have a heater and just got a RJ 45 swg. Any recommendations for a cartridge filter and where to buy from? Thanks.

Hey gb,

The general rule with a cartridge filter is to buy the biggest you can afford. You'd probably be fine with models from any of the popular manufacturers, but IMHO, the right answer is Pentair. Most of my larger purchases are through poolsupplyunlimited.com, but shop price and availability first. Keep an eye on local ads for sales and free install w/purchase.

Here's a bump to get more eyes on your inquiry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. I’m either going with the Pentair Clean and Clear or the Hayward SwimClear. I’ll go as big as possible - the 500+ square foot one.

Which is the better of the two above? The Pentair is already mentioned in this thread, so is that the better one?

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.