Old Automation Failed and Turning System to Manual Switches/Valves Help

Sep 23, 2011
Hello TFP,

I have a pool that came with the house I purchased which was built in 1999. The old automation system is an X-10 with Ortega valves/actuators and an old Sta-Rite heater (which also failed).

I'm in the process of converting the Ortega valves into the Hayward 3-way diverter valves (which cost $80 at the pool store?!?). One of the Ortega valves is butted up against a 3-way connector with only about a quarter inch of piping available. Any tips on how to cut and install the new valve with not much room?

Also since the X-10 went out (RF controlled), I won't be able to turn on my pool lights, blower motor for spa bubbles, and heater. Does anyone have any knowledge of converting these to run off of a two-pole switch instead?

Sorry for all the questions.

Regards,
RoxanneIsNumber1

You could use a ram bit to drill out the pipe in the 3-way connector so you can install a new piece of pipe.

Wiring up the pool light and blower should be the same as wiring up a light switch in the house. If you are not familiar with that, then you should hire it out.
The heater should be able to be controlled by its own panel, just provide it with full time power.

Hi Jblizzle,

Thanks for replying. I wish I had known about that ram bit before I hacked the plumbing apart on the return side. I'll go see if my local Home Depot carries it.

I'm familiar with wiring light switches, so that gives me some confidence to wire it, but I'm not too sure how I could mount the switches.

I don't know your pool or equipment details and locations because you have not filled out your signature.

You would just need some exterior electrical boxes with waterproof covers over the switches.

Not really. I have never used one. I bought one because I thought I was going to need to use it on some of my solar heater pipes, but I have not had to use it.

You might want to check out Youtube or something to see if they show how they work or which ones work better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.