Okay to store chemicals outside?

Why shouldn’t I use tabs? I have an in line chlorinator and thought I was supposed to add tabs there?
Because tabs constantly add cya stabilizer and the only way to lower it is to drain and refill the pool. As your cya levels rise your free chlorine level needs to rise to compensate. They are convenient but expensive. Best to switch to a SWCG or a Stenner pump for liquid chlorine. SWCG is way more convenient and not near as messy as a Senner pump system IMHO.

Reactions: NtxMelanie
We fixed up the muddy pool equipment area over the weekend and added a cabinet to store everything. Super happy to have everything organized and pretty, but is it okay to store chemicals in there all the time? Or the test kit? Right now it seems fine and I can’t imagine cold would be a big issue in Texas, but when it gets super hot out is it better to store them inside? View attachment 408126
We fixed up the muddy pool equipment area over the weekend and added a cabinet to store everything. Super happy to have everything organized and pretty, but is it okay to store chemicals in there all the time? Or the test kit? Right now it seems fine and I can’t imagine cold would be a big issue in Texas, but when it gets super hot out is it better to store them inside? View attachment 408126
I have nothing to add except uber jealous of your dual pumps...

Reactions: NtxMelanie
Congratulations again on the beautiful job. Wish my equipment pad looked so well-organized.

You have lots of good advice here. FWIW, I have a couple of these boxes (in deep shade under big evergreens next to a fence). One for acid, the other for chlorine. Entirely plastic. Well-vented. About 12 feet apart. Working great so far, but only had them since March. We'll see how they do through the summer. (The advice about chlorine fumes causing steel to rust is 100% correct. Don't ask me how I know.)

FWIW, tabs can be useful when you need to be away from the pool for some days. If CYA is a bit low, it helps with that at the same time. It's the long term that makes trouble.

Congratulations again on the beautiful job. Wish my equipment pad looked so well-organized.

You have lots of good advice here. FWIW, I have a couple of these boxes (in deep shade under big evergreens next to a fence). One for acid, the other for chlorine. Entirely plastic. Well-vented. About 12 feet apart. Working great so far, but only had them since March. We'll see how they do through the summer. (The advice about chlorine fumes causing steel to rust is 100% correct. Don't ask me how I know.)

FWIW, tabs can be useful when you need to be away from the pool for some days. If CYA is a bit low, it helps with that at the same time. It's the long term that makes trouble.
Those look great! I might get something like that for the acid just to keep it separate and still look nice.

And that’s a good call in the tabs, I’ve switched to chlorine but still keeping the tabs for when we vacation because we can just set them the in line feeder. Our CYA isn’t going up anymore so I think it’ll be okay to use during that time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.