Palpatine

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2019
West Hills, CA
Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out which SWCG to buy but seems there are a million different "good" choices. All my pool equipment is Hayward, except for my heater, and I can't seem to figure out what the difference between these Hayward systems is (other than price):

Hayward W3AQR15 AquaRite Chlorine Generator Salt System 40K

Hayward AQR15-PRO AquaRite Pro with T-CELL-15

Hayward AquaRite Pro AQR15-PRO-SD 40K Salt Cell & Sense and Dispense

I guess the last 2, the difference is the Sense and Dispense... but not sure if that is necessary and/or desired. Also, I don't have any automation right now but if I'm making a substantial purchase now I might as well future proof my setup. If that's not possible, due to my heater not being Hayward, I'm also considering:

Pentair Intellichlor IC60 Salt Water System 521105 and 520556

I spoke to a contractor, not licensed or English speaking, and he said that I would have to add a sub-panel to my equipment pad in order to get a SWCG... not sure if that's correct or not, so if anyone knows please advise. Please note that this same contractor moved my equipment last fall, trenched and ran a conduit from my wall to the equipment pad in anticipation of adding a SWCG (via the new sub-panel that he wanted to add) in the future. I've pointed out those openings with red arrows. Again, not sure how necessary that was to do... but I figured I'd do it while everything was dug up last year.

I've attached a couple of pics of my equipment pad so maybe that will help.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• Pool Pad 1 - with conduit.jpg
    Pool Pad 1 - with conduit.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Pool Pad 2 - with conduit.jpg
    Pool Pad 2 - with conduit.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Pool Pad 3.jpg
    Pool Pad 3.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 86
Hayward W3AQR15 AquaRite Chlorine Generator Salt System 40K and Hayward AQR15-PRO AquaRite Pro with T-CELL-15 are the same. W3 is sold through retail channels. PRO is sold through pool builders. Same system with different warranty.

Hayward AquaRite Pro AQR15-PRO-SD 40K Salt Cell & Sense and Dispense is teh same as above plus tries to manage ph with acid feeder. We don;t recommend it.

Any heater works with any automation and doesn't affect your decisions.

Pentair Intellichlor IC60 Salt Water System 521105 and 520556 is a solid system but no reason to mix that in with what you have.

Have you considered the Circupool RJ60+. Buy the RJ45+ and upgrade to the RJ60+ for $10.

You don't need a subpanel. You need to connect the SWG into 120V and also a Intermatic timer to ensure your SWG is only powered when your pump is running.

Hi @ajw22 , thanks for your reply. I see the Circupool system spoken very highly of on this forum, but like I said, everything else is Hayward so I'll likely just stick with that in case I ever want to venture into automation in the future. Likely the Hayward AQR15-PRO AquaRite Pro with T-CELL-15, or the W3 version. My friend has an account at a pool supply store so I can probably get the pro version I just need to check their price.

Glad I don't need a separate sub-panel, but still a bit confused about the Intermatic timer... Is that something separate that needs to be purchased and installed? None of the SWCGs come with one?

Is that conduit I have going to come in handy or was it just a waste?

I'm definitely not going to install this myself because I'm not comfortable working with electricity but I'd like to know a bit more of what is involved when I speak to an installer this time.

Thanks again.

Edit: Also interesting, thought I don't plan to purchase from this company, these 2 systems look different and are certainly priced differently. Am I missing something?

Do some more searching from other suppliers, those state that they only have a one year warranty. Go on Hayward's site and a new system should come with a three year warranty. They have switched their stand alone cell warranties to one year, but not for a complete system.

Do some more searching from other suppliers, those state that they only have a one year warranty. Go on Hayward's site and a new system should come with a three year warranty. They have switched their stand alone cell warranties to one year, but not for a complete system.
I'm not purchasing the system from that company... just using it as a point of reference. When I contact the pool supply store (for industry professionals only, with an account there), I just want to know what system I'm looking for.

I thought that both of those systems above were supposed to be the same... but I don't understand the large price discrepancy. Maybe I'm missing something.

I can’t explain pricing. The two sys are functionally the same SWG with a different looking controller.

Reactions: Palpatine
I just installed a "Hayward AQR940 Aquarite 900 Salt Chlorine Generator with 40K Gallon Extended Life TurboCell". Yes, you'll need to purchase a timer for it to run on. You'll want to run it on a cycle within the time that you are running your pump. You could run them both 24 hrs a day, but that wouldn't be very efficient.

I physically installed it all, and then had an electrician come to do the hookup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
no way to just hook it up directly to the pump?

Besides a DIY system involving relays and power electronic, the way to "hook it up directly to the pump" is through an automation system. If you think it is difficult to figure out which SWCG is which, wait until you look into automation systems. :) I don't have one so can't speak to it. I do have a T104 timer that is controlling the SWCG and that seems to work fine.

I believe the ones mentioned above are controllers that only control the cell. Check this out:

With that one you get a lot more, full automation controls. I use mine to control the valve to the solar panels, the swcg cell, gas heater, landscape lighting, and pumps. I'm not up to date on the latest kits and models from Hayward so you'll have to do your research. Some packages come with the relays, some don't. Some come with the cell, some don't. I bought the controller without the cell because I already had a cell.

You'll need to do some electrical to install it and connect it to your pump, heater, etc. If your not comfortable doing electrical you'll need an electrician.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.