BrewerK

Aug 9, 2021
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning! We're at the tail end of our first year with an above ground pool. It was installed in early June and a few days after, we noticed a football-sized depression near one of the edges. Being new (and stupid, in retrospect) we shrugged it off and put the steps next to it to keep anyone from rolling their ankle in it. Of course that's where a leak later developed due to there not being enough sand.

I contacted the installer who said they'd come out and fix it free of charge when we close the pool. They said it has to be drained first.

So my question is: is it OK to leave the pool empty for the winter? I have a pool cover coming. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

Short answer is no. The water is what keeps the pool safe as it weights A LOT.. my pool water weights 132,000 pounds and no way wind or anything can move that much weight..

An empty pool weights about 600 pounds and the sides are basically a big huge sail... The first big wind will destroy the pool..

No, part two. Also the liner will dry out and shrink. When the liner shrinks it cannot be re-used and must be replaced. Once the pool is repaired it should be refilled. If you plan to close the pool for winter you only need to fill it to just below the skimmer and return (whichever opening is lowest). We can tell you how to close the pool for winter if you need help.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.