Ok to add calcium AND stabilizer at the same time?

Aug 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
Calcium hardness is in the 70ish range and cya is 30 or less. I've already added the stabilizer, I'm just wondering if there would be any issue with adding calcium at the same time.

Side question, the stabilizer bag says I need to run the pump continuously for 48 hours, is this consensus of the experts here or can I scale back the pump time?

Thank you

Pump running depends on how you added the CYA. Did you follow the bag and pour it in the skimmer? Then you need to follow the bag and leave the pump run and pray you don't need to backwash before it's all dissolved. If you followed our advice and used a sock, just pull the sock and set it in a bucket if you want to shut off the pump, and put it back in then next time the pump is running. Realistically, if it's in a sock with lots of water flowing past, and you knead it every half hour or so, it'll probably all dissolve in a few hours. When the sock is empty, you can shut off the pump. Unless you're SLAMming.

Forget the Calcium unless your water foams enough to annoy you. Your pool has no plaster to etch with low CH levels. If you do add it, there's no reason to wait. CYA dissolves so slow the usual waiting time between chemical additions is ignored.

You probably know this, but now that cya is added you should be chlorinating at your anticipated range. Just assume it's all in there even if it doesn't show up on test right away. After you hit your target of 30, you will likely find it best to raise CYA a little more 40-50 range in order to hold FC levels longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.