Oil slick on pool (sunscreen) will the filter clean it out?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
After a lot of people being in the pool this weekend I noticed with close inspection of the water that there was a slight hint of "oil" across the surface. I never really noticed it before but it always probably has been there. I was curious if it will get cleaned out by the filter?

We went through that phase. After I cleaned my cartridge filter, I sprayed it with 409 cleaner to breakdown the oil. I let it set for 1/2 hour then rinsed thoroughly.
Also there are cloth balls you can float in your pool that absorb grease and oils, so those are useful.
It helps to make the kids wait 15min or so for the sunscreen to soak in per the instructions.
I don’t know why parents are OK with using chemicals that are absorbed into their children’s skin.

CPO instructor told me to rough up a tennis ball on concrete and put that in the skimmer. I see a couple of little yellow bits in the filter but it has worked for me!

Bumping up FC will help break down the oils, scum bugs help, skimmer socks help, or if you want it gone fast you can buy a enzymatic cleaner for pools that will break it down. Eventually the filter and chlorine will take care of it if you do nothing.

Pet peeve of mine - when I see the mothers spray a weeks worth of sunscreen, while standing on my unsealed coping / cement, all over their snot nosed kids, who then proceeds to jump in the pool, that I maintain...sigh! :)

I am slowly getting the regulars to understand, that the oil comes off immediately - spray your kids at home! :).

I use this also - SeaKlear Chitosan Clarifier for Pools

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.