OIL IN MY GALLON ON CHLORINE!

Poolnoob1234

May 24, 2022
Sacramento
Hey yall, first time posting. I went to add a gallon of chlorine to my pool that I purchased from a pretty reputable pool store (nathans pool supply) which I've been buying chlorine from years. And not paying attention to the liquid coming out until it was too late. I noticed it was pretty dark in color and instantly thought the chlorine company (HASA sani-clor) accidentally put acid in it by mistake. I went to smell it and it smells like 2 stroke fuel. I looked inside the jug and saw it definitely looked like oil had been in there. Then looked at the pool and saw the tell tale sign of oil by the rainbow swirl like coloring on the top of the water. I would guess that a customer with the jug before had stored oil in before returning it to the chlorine company and the chlorine company didnt wash it out or notice it before refilling it and sending it to the pool store. I will go in the morning to nathans and see what they say. Can I run my sand filter still? Who's liable for any damage? And info will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Wow, what a nightmare. For now you might consider placing some absorbent mats on the water. You might also find some scum balls or similar absorbent items designed to be placed in the skimmer to help catch oils. The pool store might recommend a "First Aid" product which contains enzymes designed to breakdown oil, so that could help. You might need to maintain an elevated FC level for a while in an effort to try and break-down the oil. Since you purchased the product from the pool store, I would insist they make the issue right with assistance and store credit for any products/materials required to help resolve the issue. They should do their best to help remedy the situation.

I hope they help you clean that up. Maybe use those oil sucker uppers they use in the ocean or gas stations. Looks like a long snake stuffed with stuff. I’d be so unbelievably torked if that happened to me.

Hey PN and Welcome !!!. It happens. Just the other day too.

Well after speaking my local pool store who told me there's nothing he'll do for me, I spoke to HASA which is the chlorine manufacturer. They wouldn't even speak to me as I'm not a licensed pool guy. They wouldn't even tell me if they actually inspect the bottles before refilling them. So I called my local guy back and asked him if he'd give the contact info of his distributor. He was reluctant but gave me their number. Called them and was immediately impressed with their willingness to help me out. Luck would have they are even on my route (UPS driver) told me to come in and they would make it right. Gave me about 20 lbs of shock, oil pads, an enzyme substance that dissolves the oil. Very happy with the way I was treated at the supplier. I will bring them the jug of chlorine with the reminisce of oil tomorrow. Should only be out of the water for 2 days...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.