Jan 18, 2021
Uniontown, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy,

I've learned so much from this site, thank you! I'm planning a pool install this year. I have a few questions I'd love some feedback on. I'm do a partial inground install of the Aquasport 52. It will be 30" in the ground.

1. Do I need to wait for the weather to warm up to dig and install the pool? I understand I can't use it right away but is there any possible issues with getting the thing in the ground and setup before the spring rains become a scheduling annoyance?

2. I've seen mention of something to spray on the outside before back filling. I'm planning on using stone to back fill. Any ideas on what this spray is or preventing the outside surface from getting scratched up during back fill?

3. My pump and heater will be about 20' away from the pool. Using standard 1.5" pipes, will this be an issue? It's a 21' round pool with about 11k gallons.

Sorry if some of this overlapped other posts but I couldn't find exact answers to these questions.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :)

1. now is good but rains may delay..

2. some kind of plastic spray or thicker paint.. *** edited for bad recommendation :)

3. should be no issue (please fill out your signature so we can see what equipment you have :) ) Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
For burying the the pool, you need to make sure that you have a way to drain the hole around the pool. Either with a drain to daylight or some other means. Water will get in there and it needs a way to get out without flooding. Especially if the liner develops a leak. Standing water at the base of an AGP is very bad.

I'd caution against putting plastic sheeting on the wall, it will trap moisture next to the wall and cause more potential issues that it prevents.

If you have a typical 1 - 1.5 HP pump, you should be just fine moving the pump 20' away from the pool.
The biggest concern is the pump inlet vs the water level in the pool. For non-priming pumps (typical for AGPs) you need to make sure the pump inlet is below water level at the skimmer. If you get a priming pump (typical for IG pools), then it doesn't matter, within reason.
Make sure you put valves at the skimmer & return and at the pump pad inlet / outlet. This will allow easier maintenance.

You also need to consider weather when dropping a new liner. You'll need at least 2 back to back 70° days to set the liner. Do not fill the pool overnight on the first night and make sure the hose is in by noon at the latest so you can have at least 8-12" of water in the pool by the end of that first day. If you fill overnight, the liner will pull off the walls because it can not stretch in cool temps.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Thank you for the advise!

Teald024/cowboycasey

Regarding the drainage. I was planning on putting in a drain but have limited space to run it more then 15' from the pool. Would tying it into my house's foundation drain be ok/safe?

I was think of using the fabric you wrap drain pipes in to protect the underground portion of the pool. Allows water to move through it but not dirt and stone. Good idea?

Casey

The warm temp for the liner might put a hold on my plans. Thank you for this insight. I was planning to fill about 18" and let it sit overnight just to make sure I don't have any liner seam issues. I'll keep the temp in mind as well.

The fabric is used to let water drain, but not let silt and bigger stuff into the drain pipe. Using that around the pool won’t do anything to protect the walls. I suppose it could help to keep the base under the pool from washing away if done correctly. If you want to protect the metal pool wall, you will need a spray/roll on coating.
As for tying the pit drain into the house drain, it would depend on where the foundation drains to. Full gravity draining would be ideal.

I was thinking the fabric would just keep the existing paint from getting scratched up by the rocks I'm going to full the hole with and not trap moisture. The pool I'm planning is all aluminum so I'm not too worried about corrosion. I also have a feeling if I use a paint, the pool won't get "perfectly" covered. So where the water eventually gets through, it could be trapped and cause faster corrosion.

My house is less then 10 years old("modern" drainage) and didn't require a sump pump. I grilled the builders about that when they told me but the house is high enough above street level that it is all gravity. Will that work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.