Odd results with drop test for salt ppm

Judyaf

Jun 13, 2015
Sarasota Florida
I have just used my new Taylor 2006-salt test kit. The drop test for salt ppm produces goopy looking solids. Swirling doesn't seem to disolve them, vigorous shaking breaks it up into tiny pellets. Color change seems to work correctly, but if I stop swirling or shaking, the solids quickly settle to the bottom of the test tube. I realize that these solids are what create the milky look, but does the rapid change to opaque solid indicate something else about the water? Also notice a scum line in test tube after emptying the sample; rinsing does not remove the scum; I needed to wipe it out and then rinse again. Test is showing 3200 ppm salt. The ProLogic says 2800.

I have read the threads about doubling the water sample and will try that. I agree that the color change can go from yellow to the brick brown with the addition of l more drop.

So is this effect normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Everything you posted sounds normal from my experience. Clumps on the bottom and a ring of white in the test tube that you have wipe out.
Are you using a speed stir? That helps with the end point.

I also always saw that the Taylor test consistently read 400-800ppm higher than my ProLogic says.
Bottom line, you need the Prologic happy, so I would raise your salt level so the Prologic reads around 3200ppm and then see what your Taylor test says and consider that the normal.

Then in the future if the Taylor start reading higher and higher above what the Prologic says (or said better, the Taylor stays similar but the Prologic reading is dropping), that could indicate a problem with your SWG cell.

Normal. The drops contain silver ions. The silver ions combine with chloride to form silver chloride, which is the insoluble white precipitate.

The more chloride there is, the more silver it takes to precipitate all of the chloride.

Only when the chloride is all precipitated will the silver combine with the chromate to give a brick red color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.