Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Here in San Antonio, chlorine seems to evaporate into thin air! I was having trouble maintaining my FC at a level needed relative to CYA (not a SWG pool).

Decided to do an OCLT. 6.5 last evening and 6.0 this morning. I remember thinking the 6.5 was borderline and could have been closer to 6.0 (you know that point when the color dissipates, but there’s still some color (barely) and then you do one more drop and it’s that blueish clear color?). Based on my observation, it’s definitely less than 0.5 FC loss, so I’m good.

Just need to keep adding LC!

Reactions: Newdude
Down in that heat and CYA of 70 you could probably kick your FC up to 7 or 8 and be better off from getting close to the low :) That is where I run mine...

Reactions: Sotex
Down in that heat and CYA of 70 you could probably kick your FC up to 7 or 8 and be better off from getting close to the low :) That is where I run mine...

I'm also trying to dial down my pH a little bit. It's been bouncing in the 7.8 - 8.0 (sometimes higher) range and I'd like it to be maintained closer to 7.4.

I'll test again now and add to get my FC to 8. Thanks!

I'm also trying to dial down my pH a little bit. It's been bouncing in the 7.8 - 8.0 (sometimes higher) range and I'd like it to be maintained closer to 7.4.

I'll test again now and add to get my FC to 8. Thanks!
try getting your TA down around 70 and it should start staying in the 7.6 range, I have mine around 50 and I only add acid 1 or 2 times a year :)

Reactions: Sotex
try getting your TA down around 70 and it should start staying in the 7.6 range, I have mine around 50 and I only add acid 1 or 2 times a year :)

Agreed. It has taken me most of the summer to get mine down to 70, but since that point, It has taken nearly 3 weeks for my pH to drift from 7.6 to 7.8.

I found that pushing it all the way to the bottom of the range was enough to get it down. That is, every time it hit 7.8 or higher, I would add enough MA to push it all the way back down to 7.2. At first, when I was at 120 TA or higher, it would jump back 7.8 in a few days, but each time I knocked it back down, it would rise a little less quickly. I was content to not worry about aerating, I just let it drift up and hit it again with MA. Eventually, the process drove the TA down enough that pH drifts VERY slowly now.

Agreed. It has taken me most of the summer to get mine down to 70, but since that point, It has taken nearly 3 weeks for my pH to drift from 7.6 to 7.8.

I found that pushing it all the way to the bottom of the range was enough to get it down. That is, every time it hit 7.8 or higher, I would add enough MA to push it all the way back down to 7.2. At first, when I was at 120 TA or higher, it would jump back 7.8 in a few days, but each time I knocked it back down, it would rise a little less quickly. I was content to not worry about aerating, I just let it drift up and hit it again with MA. Eventually, the process drove the TA down enough that pH drifts VERY slowly now.

Thanks for validating my hypothesis and personal plan of attack!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.