OCLT Question - is barely passing OK?

PieterS

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Tried an OCLT just for kicks to educate myself. Using K-2006 test kit. pH around 7.6.

Last night (~8:30 PM):
FC 4.4
CC 0.4

This morning (~7:00 AM):
FC 3.6
CC 0.4

So I did not decrease by more than 1 ppm (barely) and my CC is not above 0.5 (barely). Any concerns with these numbers?

Thanks.

Also, for future FC testing, use the 10 ML water sample size with one generous scoop of powder. Mix with drops until clear and divide in half. Example: 16 drops equals an FC of 8. Might save you some reagent and is still accurate.
Thanks for the tip! Do you actually mix with a spoon/implement or do you swirl as test suggests? Seems to be hard to know when powder is fully dissolved...

Swirl the tube. The powder dissolves immediately. There may be a speck or two of powder that does not dissolve, that is a good sign as it means you added enough powder.

Reactions: PieterS
As long as the water is crystal clear (no debris build up) then follow the FC/CYA Levels in the Target Range.

Thanks. Using a SWG - so aiming to increase my CYA. Trying to do so slowly as I don't want to over-shoot. Was at 30 a few days ago - have added enough to get me to 50 - I'll check again in a few days.

Does it make any sense to kick up the SWG a bit to higher output to fight off anything as I'm getting to desired levels of FC and CYA? Does the 0.4 CC indicate there's something active in the water?

Pool is about 4' deep - not sure if I'd call the water 'crystal clear' - it's not necessarily sparkling but very easy to see bottom all the way around.

^^^ +1. For me as a clumsy oaf it might be more valuable than the kit itself because I’d never be that consistent. I was skeptically on the fence when I ordered the speed stir but the first second I dropped the stirrer in and it went so fast I could barely see it...... I was sold. Hook, line and sinker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.