Obtaining quotes in the fall/winter-lower bids?

Here in NJ we just did a renovation where we signed the contract in November for work to be done in May and paid a higher deposit but had a lower overall cost because we picked out the coping, tile, and plaster early which were all purchased at last years prices versus this years prices. Or so we were told this was the reason for the discount and increased deposit.

My neighbor did this but paid for it when the builder's season actually started. The builder was obviously giving other (presumably full-price) customers better attention and was routinely missing deadlines for my neighbor, whose "early season" build wasn't completed until the season was more than half over.

We are planning a build for this fall/winter. Our builder said that during the main season he schedules builds in the order in which contracts are signed. But in the fall/winter he tries to cluster jobs by geographic area and offers a free saltwater upgrade in exchange for what might be considered loose start times.

When we first looked into getting a pool the price to install anytime year round was the same. Some of the builders would offer a special. If you read the specifics of the package it was bare minimum. Changes were an upgrade at a cost.

I am referencing only to vinyl in ground pools.

I think it would depend on the part of the country you live, PB workload or lack of, complexity of the build and ones ability to negotiate.

I would not factor that into your timing/decision making. The bigger issue is getting a PB you mesh well with and comparing prices, apples to apples, among your quotes.

That is the timing I used but not for that reason. I wanted to swim the following year and the only way I saw that happening without major stress was to contract in the late fall.

Since our PB was booked through July this year and the pool season would be over by the time he finished anyway he gave a just over 2k off the build if we let him use our build to fill an opening at the end of the summer/fall time frame.
We are doing a pretty basic pool and deck it will be a simple one for him and my thought was I would rather have him pouring the concrete in milder weather instead of 100 degree heat, hope it doesn't end up being a mistake and come spring we will be ready for a swim.

I have been getting quotes here in the Austin Texas area for about a month. There hasn't been any difference in pricing from when they would start. I just like having all the work done by Christmas if possible so I can start enjoying Spring early.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The PB'ers in our area do not do that. Why? Because they literally are booked for the entire year by May/June. Two different ones told us they were currently installing pools they had booked back in September and August of 2017. They do not need the sales insentive to book clients. However, we live in Louisiana where it is hot and pools are popular in all seasons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.