O-ring quick fix (or make my own?)

ottawaguy

Apr 4, 2020
Ontario
I believe one of these o-rings in my heater is leaking:

Is there any quick fix to try and make them work while I wait for new ones? Is it possible to make my own replacement pieces?

I’m in Canada, I can’t get them up here and the pools the US seem to be charging quite a lot for shipping (like 70$). I did find one place in Canada, but it might be a month or two if I order from them.

Thanks

If it’s just one the circular o-rings you can likely find a replacement locally or online. Most rubber o-rings are pretty universal. I had an o-ring dry out on an expensive aquarium filter a replacement kit from Eheim was going to be $20 plus shipping. Canadian tire had the same size in their hardware section for 75 cents.

If it’s the tricky shaped gasket that’s leaking that’s a different story...

Did yoh slather it with pool lube ? I use Jacks lube by Hayward and it works wonders for helping to seal o-rings.

If it’s just one the circular o-rings you can likely find a replacement locally or online. Most rubber o-rings are pretty universal. I had an o-ring dry out on an expensive aquarium filter a replacement kit from Eheim was going to be $20 plus shipping. Canadian tire had the same size in their hardware section for 75 cents.

If it’s the tricky shaped gasket that’s leaking that’s a different story...

It is hard to tell where the leak is coming from. Ill try to bring one small one to the HW store to compare it. Thanks

I got it sealed. I don't know specifically what worked, I think it was mostly the big o-ring that was leaking, took it out again, cleaned it and put it back in (did notice there was a very subtle difference on both sides, it's not 100% symmetrical) and it seems much better. I had also put a bit of teflon tape around the pipes and slid the old o-rings back over that (not sure if that was a good idea or not), but in any case the leaking is gone! Thanks for the advice/help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.