O.k. to let CYA drop a little at the end o f the season?

Apr 24, 2018
King George, Va
Over the season, my CYA has dropped from the 80 (which I had to drain to achieve) to somewhere between 50-60. Given that we're getting towards the end of the season I'm wondering if it's o.k. to keep it a little lower till closing? My SWG is still chugging away happily and my FC level is staying where it needs to be, so that doesn't seem to be an issue (I think that's maybe because the sun isn't as severe now as it was during the height of summer). I'm really just thinking ahead to the Spring and am wondering if a lower CYA then will make an initial SLAM, and getting the pool clear and up and running easier when it's opened again? But at the same time, I have no idea whether or not the CYA level at closing will make any difference to the chances of opening up the pool in the to a green swamp in the Spring?

Any suggestions from the wise?

I can't speak for the wise, but if you will accept an opinion from the foolhardy ;)

If everything is going smoothly I wouldn't change that. You are correct that the lower angle of the sun (it's about the same angle as March right now) is probably balancing everything out. Come spring after you open and clear up whatever needs cleared up (CYA level will not directly affect whether things need cleared up, closing after the water has cooled has the biggest effect) you can bring it back to a good SWG level and get back in the groove of things.

I agree with D. I’m exactly where you are now. Except I never need to SLAM in he spring. I open by mid-April in Maryland. So I just add it when I open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.