Numbers changed dramatically

Apr 18, 2014
Granbury Texas
I just finished SLAM last weekend with a successful OCLT.
Pool is clear and water looks good. (could have a bit more sparkle but we will see)

Numbers seem to have changed dramatically in directions i find suspect.

I typically follow the the TFP philosophy to the letter. This week due to the Chlorine shortage i could not find liquid chlorine when i needed it so i bought the pucks from Leslie and added 4 a few days ago. (finally found liquid chlorine and will leave the pucks in until they dissolve, adding liquid as needed, then stop the pucks)

• I have one fountain, it is one of the flowers in one of the returns.
  • Due to the low CH i added 15lbs of Hardness Plus from Leslie ( i never shop at Leslie for chemicals but i was there so i did). I added this all at the same time ( kind of a no-no) and brushed very well and left the pump running for 24-48 hrs
  • Historically, at the beginning of the summer, I have to lower TA and raise CH and CYA.
  • I have not refreshed my chemicals (TF-100) from TFTest kits ( though i typically do that every summer) because i have unused bottles that have been stored inside in the dark
  • I was adding Acid, dropped it to 7.1 twice during SLAM ( i know, a no-no), but done doing that as ph has stabilized.

Here are my numbers and the CSI is good but i know i will have to raise CYA in the Texas summer.

So what confuses me is the significant drop in TA and CYA, and the massive increase in CH

Any feedback and thoughts would be appreciated.

Last week's readings
FC 16
CH 200
TA 90
pH 7.2
CYA 40
CSI -0.43

Last night readings
FC 7
CH 475
TA 70
pH 7.5/7.6
CYA 30
CSI 0.04/ .14

Well, I see the changes. Your CH certainly shot-up there. The CYA may have fallen a bit if you received all of the rain TX got the past couple weeks resulting in water overflow. The FC would fall from 16 because that's more of a SLAM level for your CYA and the extra FC will disappear quicker. But temps are getting hotter. I just increased my CYA and you probably should as well. A CYA of at least 40, maybe even 50 in preparation for summer. But before doing so, make sure you are happy with the water clarity. If there is any haziness, you might do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to make sure there are no concerns with algae. Other than that, I think last night's readings look quite good.

Well, I see the changes. Your CH certainly shot-up there. The CYA may have fallen a bit if you received all of the rain TX got the past couple weeks resulting in water overflow. The FC would fall from 16 because that's more of a SLAM level for your CYA and the extra FC will disappear quicker. But temps are getting hotter. I just increased my CYA and you probably should as well. A CYA of at least 40, maybe even 50 in preparation for summer. But before doing so, make sure you are happy with the water clarity. If there is any haziness, you might do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to make sure there are no concerns with algae. Other than that, I think last night's readings look quite good.
Thanks! - yea with the good CSI i feel good about it.

Is the CH alarming at all you think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.