Number of returns needed to prevent pump damage

Sep 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
Thank yoiu in advance, this should make for some good laughs for folks with "real" in-ground pools. I have a dog rescue and we needed to make our above ground pool more accessible for older dogs and me when carrying a dog. I rented a excavator and dug a hole in the yard :) I dropped our 4' deep, 18' round pool(aprox 10,000 gallons) about 3' into the ground. We added a nice sand filter, Haywood 150 pounds i think, and a over kill Haywood Max Flo VS 1.5hp pump. I added a wide mouth skimmer which also serves as the only drain/return to pump line.

After two faulty pump replacements, and being told by a pool store service person, to not restrict the flow from the pump, because of potentially damaging the pump, my only return is my single return line that is an open fitting for the return line (all to and from pump pipe is 1.5").

I believe the pump faults were from heat/sun exposure on the control panel, they have since changed the design so the control panel is on the side. So two things changed nearly simultaneously, I put a cover over the pump and filter to block the sun, and i removed the return jet and ran a 90 inside the pool to direct water to the bottom, i have a snug fit that isn't glued and can redirect the flow occasionally. I have been apprehensive about trying the return jet again since the comment about not restricting the flow.

Lately i have been considering rigging up a 1.5" to a three way with 1/2" openings to give me better circulation, my simple brain said that should work since the three 1/2 inchers equals 1.5". this has not been tried yet either.

I also want to add a side drain as low as i can and tie into the plumbing returning water to the pump.

Questions refined:
1) is the flow restriction a legit concern?
2) is adding the side drain sufficient, or should i also attempt to install a bottom drain in a full pool (not scared, well sort of)
3) if i use return jets (considering The Circulator jet) how many do i need, if flow restriction is an issue?

Thank you in advance for anyone's time and consideration

1. Only if it stops flow completely

2. An equalizer port should be sufficient to prevent skimmer clogs.

3. One is needed. 2 would be better. 3 even better......

But there is a myth that higher pressure (i.e. blockage) makes a pump work harder. It doesn't. Just the opposite. But you don't ever want blockage to stop flow completely.

Yes but it is connected to the second port of the skimmer. But it is really only needed if you have issues with the skimmer filling with debris.

I wouldn't bother. They are pretty much useless and usually only cause problems that are difficult to fix.

I wouldn't bother with the equalizer as well unless you have had a situation with complete skimmer blockage. It doesn't sound like the reason the pump's failed had anything to do with restriction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.