May 27, 2013
Marietta, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning!

I've searched the forums but I still have a question about using NST tablets to maintain chlorine levels while away for a week.

We have a 13,500 gal above ground pool (vinyl). I use liquid chlorine (bleach) exclusively and test and record FC and CC daily. I use granulated CYA at the beginning of each season to bring the level to 50 ppm. I keep FC between 6 to 8 ppm. The CC numbers are always < 0.5 ppm. This season, we're averaging about 2 ppm chlorine loss per day and the pool is crystal clear.

We'll be away for a week and there will be no one to add bleach as needed. If I make sure the chlorine is at 8 ppm before we leave, do you think NST tablets in the skimmer would provide adequate chlorine to keep the FC at or above a minimum of 4 ppm while we're away? (Based on the product instructions, I'm thinking two or three tablets.) Because it's vinyl, I'm not too concerned about the calcium added by the product.

i don't want to use stabilized pucks and have them adding more CYA. CYA is at the exact level I want and I don't want to screw it up. :)

As always, thanks for any replies!

First where are you finding cal hypo tabs? Those are incredibly hard to find.

Now to your question. I would just use regular tabs. You are only gone for a week. Dont put them in the skimmer. Get a floater, put 4 tabs in for good measure, raise your pool to SLAM level with LC and have a great trip. We can deal with the negligible CYA growth when you get back. A warm pool and splashout will take care of that.

Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks, Katodude.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I found slow release cal-hypo tabs on Amazon...Poolife NST Tabs. After your reply, though, I'm just going to buy a floater and the smallest supply of trichlor pucks I can find. You're right. With the evaporation from the high temps we're experiencing and grandkids splashing around, the added CYA should be negligible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.