Novice pool owner cloudy pool.

paul.padda

Dec 21, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Hello everyone,
I will try and keep this brief.
Pool size 24000 gallon vinyl inground pool. Rectangular.
Hayward sand filter
I am a very novice pool owner and I've only had my pool for approximately 6 months. I have been following this site religiously and I've had no issues thus far.
However, the pool recently began to get cloudy about 1 week ago (while I was out of the country). Which a friend have been managing slowly by adding extra chlorine and effectively slamming the pool consistently for the last 3 days. However I still am running into issues with it being cloudy (attempting to slam it). I was on vacation when this all began however suspecting it was a algae issue I had advised them to add generous amounts of chlorine following the pool math app to maintain chlorine levels of greater than 12. CYA was presently 30.
I checked the pool chemistry today and the results are below.
FC 12
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 50
TA 60
CH 75

I also recently removed the staircase from the pool which had some algae buildup on it approximately one cubic foot dispersed underneath the crevices of the actual staircase.

My question is is there anything else I should test in regards to this? such as an overnight FC lost test? Am I missing anything?

I also suspect the pool filter which is a Hayward sand filter is dirty and also requires cleaning as I have not cleaned it during my ownership period of 6 months. Furthermore, the PSI since I acquired ownership of the pool is always ranging from 15-17 despite numerous backwashing.

I am planning to clean the sand filter on Sunday. Just want to check if anyone recommends doing something else or if I am missing anything
Today I proceeded to backwash the filter as well as scrub the entire pool and vacuum it. as well as brush any crevices within the actual pool. There was some loose dust like algae on the bottom of the pool that "aerosolized" quickly with bruising the actual pool liner.
Thanks in advance!
I have also attached some useless pictures of the cloudy pool.

Paul

Attachments

• 20230720_174826.jpg
    20230720_174826.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230720_174828.jpg
    20230720_174828.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to TFP
Suggest you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
That will define if you still have algae.
The key component of a SLAM Process is to MAINTAIN. If you go to 12ppm on FC and it drops to 5ppm then next day go back up to 12ppm - it is just prolonging the process. You should test every 3-4 hrs during daylight and MAINTAIN the FC at 12ppm for CYA of 30.

Welcome to TFP
Suggest you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
That will define if you still have algae.
The key component of a SLAM Process is to MAINTAIN. If you go to 12ppm on FC and it drops to 5ppm then next day go back up to 12ppm - it is just prolonging the process. You should test every 3-4 hrs during daylight and MAINTAIN the FC at 12ppm for CYA of 30.
Thanks for the message Herman!
Unfortunately, the home is rented out to tenants @ this time. checking the FC every 3-4 hours is likely not realistic due to me living over 45 minutes away. The tenants are helpful but I am not sure how realistic it is for them to check it every 3-4 hours as well. I have encouraged them to keep adding 1 gal of 11% bleach in every 12 hours is there anything else you would recommend doing in the short term? Please note that the CYA is now 50 the filter is running 24/7.

Definitely do the OCLT.

I know you said you scrubbed the stairs but what about light niches, the weir door, skimmer mouth, and any other possible surface inside the pool?

While every 3-4 hours may not be realistic, can you ask them to add bleach more frequently? How is the water being tested? Are they testing the water or are you? If it's possible for your tenants to test chlorine and add every 6 hours even as needed, that could help. I know that's a lot to ask of renters.

Also note that your SLAM level should be 20 if your CYA is 50.

Are you using pucks or anything that contains CYA and would explain the jump from 30-50?

Reactions: HermanTX
Unfortunately, the home is rented out to tenants @ this time. checking the FC every 3-4 hours is likely not realistic due to me living over 45 minutes away. The tenants are helpful but I am not sure how realistic it is for them to check it every 3-4 hours as well. I have encouraged them to keep adding 1 gal of 11% bleach in every 12 hours is there anything else you would recommend doing in the short term? Please note that the CYA is now 50 the filter is running 24/7.
How did CYA jump from 30 to 50?
1 gal of 11% LC raises FC by 5.2ppm (per PoolMath App). Using some estimated numbers of losing 3ppm due to UV sun and another 3ppm due to Algae, you probably should be adding 1 gal every 6 hrs. That is assuming you are starting at 20ppm, wait 6 hrs, add 1 gal, wait 6 hrs add 1 gal. this will at least keep your FC in the high teens.
If you can test every day then you can adjust if you need to add more or less.

I would still do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Your tenants can still swim if they can see the bottom of the pool and FC is under 20ppm
Give them a hand brush and let them do some brushing while in the pool.

My apologies on the CYA, it has always been 50.
I have scrubbed most surfaces of the pool right into the skimmer as well.
I suspect I am not adding enough chlorine.
I have some pucks I have been using intermittently (in the past), as I do not have time to add bleach in every single day.
last night I added 2 gal of bleach in. I will also add another 2 more today and continue to do so every 12 hours.

I test the water myself. I am going to check on the property on sunday and will try to conduct additional testing to re evaluate. I will let them know they can go in as long as the FC Is under 20 and they can see the bottom. hopefully this issue will be mostly resolved by Sunday if not I may have to suck it up and start testing every day.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Thank you everyone for the help, we were able to finally get the pool under control it is now Crystal clear.

The FC this morning was 22 just as the sun started hitting the pool
CC 0
Unfortunately I was unable to check the FC yesterday.

But I am hopeful the slam process is complete. I added an extra gallon of bleach this morning to be sure.

I really appreciate all the help

The forum is manned by volunteers that answers questions and provide guidance. Keeping the website highly functional with the latest technology is key to making the forum workable and enjoyable. Please consider and Become a TFP Supporter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.