Nothing is working!

taraljohnson

Jun 28, 2022
I've had an Intex 18ft pool for 3 years and never had such a hard time opening it. I finally got everything balanced according to the pool store, but water was very cloudy to the point you couldn't see the bottom and now is cloudy and green. Upgraded this year to a larger sand filter. I started the SLAM last night and when I checked this morning the FC was 10 and CYA was 20. I put it in the app and added more shock per calculator. Not sure I'm doing this right or even using the app correctly because the numbers aren't changing on it. Pool looked the same this morning as last night.

I have a test strip kit and also got a DPD test kit yesterday. When I checked before SLAM yesterday I had 0 FC
That will probably be your biggest limiting factor and end-up frustrating you this season. Test strips with their "acceptable ranges" are horrible, and the DPD viewer only gives you total chlorine results with limitations for convenience tests. You really need your own TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. Either one is fine, but it makes a world of difference in testing. The $$ you put into one of those kits more than makes-up for itself in accuracy, time, and money saved.

Thank you! In the meantime do you think I should keep adding chlorine?
In your size pool about 1-2 quarts per day for now just to try and keep things from getting out of hand. Once you get one of those kits, we can get very specific.