Not understanding the lure of robotic cleaners..

I know a lot of people have brought up the cost savings when using a Robot... While true, it is not a lot of money in real dollars..

In my mind there are only two reasons to own a robot..

1. They clean better than any water powered cleaners..
2. They are easy to take out of the pool when you want, so that you don't have to have an ugly mess in your pool 24/7.. If you look at most advertisements of pools, you don't see some ugly cleaner taking up space... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
They also don’t spray the windows of the house or drain several inches of water from the pool when the dumb tail gets stuck on the decking!

They also don’t spray the windows of the house or drain several inches of water from the pool when the dumb tail gets stuck on the decking!
Attach the Tailsweep Pro to the Polaris tail. That completely eliminated the spraying issue for me.

I had the Polaris 380 for the first 13 years of owning my pool. I rebuilt it twice over that time. When it came to needing a third rebuild, I opted for a robot instead. I can say that my pool is a lot cleaner now. The Polaris may have a small advantage with leaves but when it came to fine dirt, the Polaris was not very good since the fine dirt went right through the mesh bag.

Last edited:
Attach the Tailsweep Pro to the Polaris tail. That completely eliminated the spraying issue for me.

Does the Tail Sweep Pro use the same foam scrubbers as the standard tail sweep? I saw a video online that indicated the Pro version foam scrubber is a different material than the standard one, but I can’t find just the Pro foam replacement, just the entire Pro scrubber attachment (at much higher cost than replacing just the standard foam scrubber).

I had the Polaris 380 for the first 13 years of owning my pool. I rebuilt it twice over that time. When it came to needing a third rebuild, I opted for a robot instead. I can say that my pool is a lot cleaner now. The Polaris may have a small advantage with leaves but when it came to fine dirt, the Polaris was not very good since the fine dirt when right through the mesh bag.

I guess this is one reason I’m in no hurry to try a robot. We don’t have an issue with fine dirt in the pool. The main issue is leaves/plant debris/bugs, which the Polaris 280 does a very good job of picking up.

I find that since I switched to a VSP, I have more fine dirt that settles in the bottom of my pool instead of being pulled into the skimmers due to the lower flow rate through the skimmers.

So if I want to keep cost to a minimum what is the suggested Robo cleaner? 14 x 33, 4 to 7 feet deep.
I don't need bells and whistles but would like something that cleans well.
Local company Leslies, has the following with several others ..

Aqua Products - EVO 614IQ Robotic Pool Cleaner​

Dolphin - Proteus DX3 Robotic Pool Cleaner​

Aqua Products - EVO 604 Robotic Pool Cleane​

Polaris - P825 Robotic Pool Cleaner
It depends on what you need, do you want it to clean the waterline as well as the pool? Is the cable long enough? Does it have fine filters included or do you have to purchase seperately? I didn't need mine to clean the waterline, but it does, and I am kind of glad that it does. It won't do the stairs, (it tries) but I just sweep them prior to getting the robot going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does the Tail Sweep Pro use the same foam scrubbers as the standard tail sweep? I saw a video online that indicated the Pro version foam scrubber is a different material than the standard one, but I can’t find just the Pro foam replacement, just the entire Pro scrubber attachment (at much higher cost than replacing just the standard foam scrubber).
It should be the same. Those foam scrubbers don't last that long and I always just replace with the cheapest generic ones I can find on Amazon in a multi-pack. It's the blue plastic bit that seems to be doing the main thing to prevent the excessive spraying by diffusing the stream.

I got these from Amazon. Last about 2-3 months each.

Reactions: Saturn94
In the 25+ years that I’ve had pools, I have had suction side cleaner (poolvergnuegen), pressure cleaners (Polaris), used a manual vacuum, and a infloor cleaning system (A&A). All top of line products. I now have a Dolphin s300. Nothing but nothing cleans like the robot. I toss it in and in one hour it’s cleaned the floor of my 15x36 pool. Or if I set for full clean it will take 2 hours and clean floor as well as walls I could have saved a lot of time and money by just getting a robots in the first place.::’

I know a lot of people have brought up the cost savings when using a Robot... While true, it is not a lot of money in real dollars..

In my mind there are only two reasons to own a robot..

1. They clean better than any water powered cleaners..
2. They are easy to take out of the pool when you want, so that you don't have to have an ugly mess in your pool 24/7.. If you look at most advertisements of pools, you don't see some ugly cleaner taking up space... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I’ve never owned a robot so I can’t speak to the experience of pulling it out of the pool. I don’t find pulling my 280 out of the pool that difficult. Both robot and pressure cleaners have some sort of cord attached. Both need to be unplugged from some sort of wall outlet. Why is pulling a robot out of the pool. easier?

someone on here recommended and I decided to try it - love it. Hardly throws any water out anymore...

Amazon.com: SWASHER - No Spray - Pool Cleaner Tail Scrubber for Polaris/Pentair - No Foam to Replace - Durable Lightweight Rotating Tailsweep + Heavy Duty Wear Ring : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I’ve never owned a robot so I can’t speak to the experience of pulling it out of the pool. I don’t find pulling my 280 out of the pool that difficult. Both robot and pressure cleaners have some sort of cord attached. Both need to be unplugged from some sort of wall outlet. Why is pulling a robot out of the pool. easier?

Even though Dolphin instructs owners to pull it up by the cord, I don’t. I use the App to drive the robot up onto my tanning ledge right near the steps. Then I either step in the pool and grab the robot by it’s pull bar or I kneel down at the coping and grab it. I lift it up half way out of the water to let the water inside it drain a bit then pull it onto its caddy (not everyone buys the caddy, I did). Doing it that way puts no stress on the cord and makes it easy to lift out. Then I roll it over to the spigot, rinse it off, clean out the filter assembly and store it all neatly under my porch awning out of the sun. My pool can go 2-3 days with one robot cleaning so I don’t really leave it in the pool all the time like I did with my old suction side cleaner.

They are not hard to remove. You just have to find a routine, like any piece of pool equipment, that works best with your pool layout.

Reactions: joboo7777

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.