Not sure what I'm doing wrong... Help!!!

The shallow end is clear, the deep is a cloudy teal-ish color... I don't see any dark spotches on the bottom and when I vac, I am not getting any leaves at all.

As far as finding the DE, I looked at Walmart and Lowes, but didn't go to the pool store because they are SO high pressure and annoying I refuse to give them my $$. I ordered a 25lb bag for $23 shipped... is that a bad price? Is that a lifetime supply?

I have NO IDEA what I am doing, so sorry for the dumb questions.

mamabear020305 said:
The shallow end is clear, the deep is a cloudy teal-ish color... I don't see any dark spotches on the bottom and when I vac, I am not getting any leaves at all.

As far as finding the DE, I looked at Walmart and Lowes, but didn't go to the pool store because they are SO high pressure and annoying I refuse to give them my $$. I ordered a 25lb bag for $23 shipped... is that a bad price? Is that a lifetime supply?

I have NO IDEA what I am doing, so sorry for the dumb questions.
The price is probably fine. But you'll be using maybe half a pound or less each time you add it to the sand filter. So you're good for a while. :mrgreen: On the other hand, once your pool is clear and sparkly, someone may ask you how and you can sell them some of your magic powder at an outrageous price and recoup some of the expense. Pool Stores do it all the time!

Teal is good. Grey would be better. I was just worried it was going to be brown or orange based on that skimmer sock.

mamabear020305 said:
Is that FUNK in the skimmer sock dead algae?

If I couldn't see the bottom of the deep, I'd be worried it was decomposing body matter from a victim of the swamp we had this winter... :oops:
Might be pollen, might be algae, might be compost from organic material that rotted in the pool.

Teal might mean some algae, but it's hard to say without seeing the shade in person. Could be the color of the walls, or reflection from a lot of green plants.

There were a TON of leaves in the pool when we opened... we scooped and scooped and scooped and scooped... they were nasty and rotten and mushy to say the least. Most of them were actually whitish when we pulled them out, with just a little brown here and there... I just put two and two together and am thinking that maybe the "FUNK" is bits of the leaves that filter can't catch...

If I pass the OCLT, does that mean I am algae free? I will keep it at shock level until clear, but I am a little worried about the teal color.

You poor thing! :brickwall: HUGS!

Keep shocking until you pass ALL three parts of the "test"-CLEAR water has not been checked off yet so.....keep on keeping on! :whip:

It can be done but it does take a LOT of POP. I wish I could bottle it for you and send it your way! :cheers:

Kim

Hubby got in the pool this afternoon and discovered a lovely layer of "jelly-like" stuff on the bottom of the deep end in the corners where the sides meet the bottom... he scrubbed/stirred it up really well...

I was wondering if it's algae or decomposing leaf particles... it was white, but so were the majority of the leaves we pulled out when we started this process one million years ago (hahaha it seems like it was that long ago)

Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to say, thank you to yourself & all the help provided so far! My pool is similar in specs & exact in condition, (well 2 wks in & changing colors) so glad to see POP! I was ready 2 take a white shirt & hang it on a pole last night.... Water was cloudy blue & after second day shocking went brown. So will keep at it & refer to your post/ board till I can see the bottom.... Thanks again, good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.