Not sure if algae - first year opening a pool (pics attached)

wakasm

Jul 6, 2018
Somewhere East Coast
Hello,

I am still in my first year owning a pool and first year opening a pool. I learned a lot last summer (we bought the house/pool in mid July).

I had professionals come do the first open (shock and algeacide, take off the cover, and do some minor maintance).

After their visit, I've been working on getting the numbers correct. As I'm still working on my numbers, here is my latest reading.

FC: 4.5
pH: 7.8 (was 7.5 but went up recently)
TA: 90
CH: 225
CYA: 40
Salt: 3000

I'm currently working on lowering the pH + TA, then will work in increasing CH / CYA. (added sime muriac acid a bit ago for the pH according to Pool Math). It's still unclear to me if this will lower the TA but strating there. I ordered what I needed for the CH and CYA as well, and I think I need a little more salt too.

So far, everything has been straight forward and looking good, except two things.

Clear Flakes Floating on Pool

The pool seems to have a very very clear "stuff" on the surface that won't go away. It almost looks like flakes. It's hard to see unless you have direct sunlight and view at an angle. At first I thought it was just pollen or something until I noticed that the entire surface had it. I gave it a day or two but it hasn't gone away either or been flitered.

I haven't really been able to find any info on what this is, if it's algae, or something else. I've only been able to find info on black, yellow, pink, and/or green. Nothing clear so I figured someone hear might know better.

This is the best view I can get it (look at the sun spot on the lower half).

0goP24s.jpg

The only other way to see is really is that these flakes cast a shadow over the pool when the sun is bright. Otherwise you wouldn't really see it unless your face was inches from the surface looking at it. They have been there for a few days.

Darker Black Stuff Keeps forming on Steps

(I assume this is "black Algae?")

I keep scrubbing it, and then vacuuming it, but every day, it comes back. Seems to only happen on the steps here.

VF3HRVB.jpg

Here is my first post last year in case you need any extra info

I suspect the white flakes are calcium that is flaking-off from the SWG or other areas now that you have been hitting the pool with a bit of acid. But your numbers aren't really that far off. You may not need to work on the TA and pH so much. What is your water temp right now?

As for the stuff in the step edging, it looks like it could be algae. Your CYA is too low for a salt pool, however if the weather and water are still cool there you may be getting away with it. See FC/CYA Levels So after scrubbing, are you saying that black stuff goes away then returns the next day?

The pool temp is 61 degrees currently. CYA was next on the list (I already have the chemicals). Last year i had to add CYA as well using the sock method and was hoping to start that this weekend.

And yes, I've scrubbed it a few times now (I try to push whatever it is towards the floor for the vacuum to pick it up). For all I know it's floating back, but I do some aggressive scrubbing and it always seems to reform around those diamonds. It doesn't seem to appear anywhere else in the pool, currently.

Here is one more picture taken at a weird angle (my phone is definitately doing some color correction though, as in person, the water is very clear and blue overall)

If it is calcium from the salt water generator - does it go away? I don't recall this happening last year when the pool was opened, but I knew a lot less last year than I do this year.

K3eKxj6.jpg

If it is calcium from the salt water generator - does it go away?
Yes, eventually the filter will pick it up. Just some post-winter calcium release I suspect. Fairly common. Something to consider ... before you increase the CYA, make sure there is NO algae. No signs whatsoever (green, cloudiness, etc). If in doubt, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test because if you do have to SLAM Process, you want to do it at a lower CYA. I would focus on that for now and leave the pH/TA process alone for a while. Your overall water levels are in a good place at the moment. Once you know the pool is algae-clear, then you can fine-tune those other items.

After doing the test, it went from a 4.0 to a 3.0 overnight. The guide says:

If your FC level remained the same, or went down by 1.0 or less, the water is clean. There isn’t any living algae or other organic contamination in the pool.

So I assume I don't need to slam? 1.0 seems like a lot regardless.

Also of note, I did scrub those diamonds again last night, and by the morning, there was some black on the borders of the diamonds on that one step. Doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the pool. Not sure if maybe there is a tiny bit of algea if there is any other way to deal with it by just applying something or constant scrubbing. Maybe some hand method that is better than a brush.

I would do a SLAM as it should be quick and the 'stuff' you are seeing on the steps could be dead algae.
Leave your CYA at 40 so your FC level is 16 ppm for SLAM.

Do you really only have an IC20 SWCG for a 34K gallon pool?

Do you really only have an IC20 SWCG for a 34K gallon pool?

Yes, the pool came with an IC20 SWCG. The only thing I am unsure if is 34k Gallons is correct, since it's an odd off bean shape pool, but that's the estimate I've been working with since I don't know how to measure it 100% accurately. I was told last year that i might want to upgrade it to an IC40 or 60, but I was also told that if it's been working to maybe ride it out until I need to replace it since they are expensive both to purchase and then I have to install it as well. Last summer it was able to keep the FC levels steady, so I dunno.

One other question: Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

My current situation doesn't exist - SWCG at 40 CYA - should I be targeting 16 or 24?

Also, it says to turn off the SWG, but how do I do that if I have to leave my filter on 24-7?

(Sorry for so many questions)

Just posting a followup. Went to home depot and got me a ton of liquid Chlorine. I raised the FC for 2 days to 21 (slight over dosage). When the sun came out, it would dip, I would add more, test, etc.

I then tested it overnight, took a sample at around 9pm after the sun went down, took another reading at midnight before sleeping, and then one more reading before the sun came up at about 5:30am. I got the same reading each time (no FC loss overnight) and with a .5 cc reading (one drop to make it go from slightly pink to clear again after adding the 087).

During this process, I brushed the pool and kept it free of leaves while leaving the filter on with the SWG set at 0%.

The water never got cloudy either, it's still pretty much the same.

Of note:
  1. The pool is still filled with calcium flakes on the surface, they don't seem to go away. I saw this video about them: (link removed - TFP Mod) - and as far as I can tell, it's definitely not thick like what he finds, but he does say it may be a lower amount. Mine also seem to float. I don't know if any are on the floor since I have not actually swam in my pool yet. If I try to scoop it out, it doesn't come into my net like his example. Not sure how long to wait for these to go away. I haven't found any other videos or pictures that match the amount of flakes or white floating things on my pool, but visually, it's ugly and didn't occur last year. (Of note, we did open up the SWG cell when opening it was pretty clean as well).
  2. Even after two full nights of high chlorine, the black stuff came back around the diamonds. I brushed them off once more, but not 100% sure if i need to keep the FC high for one more full day/night cycle or not. It wasn't as much as my original picture, but it definitely was there, exactly around the border of the blue diamonds on the top stairs. I wish I was smart enough to have taken another picture before brushing it off - wasn't really thinking at 5:30am lol.

So not sure what next steps are. Do I keep the chlorine up for one more night cycle? Should I assume at this point my pool is SLAMMED? If so, I still don't have a clue about the black stuff. It's a very tiny amount, but it's noticable when it comes back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
but not 100% sure if i need to keep the FC high for one more full day/night cycle or not.
The "black stuff" is dead algae for sure. You need to keep brushing it up into the chlorinated water and let your filter pick it up.

I know you are doing all this stuff below......I am just saying to stay with it......your pool will sparkle soon!

It sounds like your FC is established and you have likely killed all the bad stuff but you may not be brushing and vacuuming and cleaning quite enough.

When did you last clean your filer? Has your psi gone up over the past few days? Are you vacuuming regularly? Did you recharge the DE in your filter?

This may be out of left field, but in looking at the weather report for Bloomfield, it shows a high grass pollen count and wind of 15-25 mph today. Have you been having a lot of wind the last few days? If so my guess on the floating stuff is a combination of dust and pollen.

I originally thought it might be pollen or algae, but someone posted earlier and said it probably calcium flakes from the SWG. (I posted a pic on the first thread). I'll have to google hairnet in the skimmer. Although, my skimmer I feel like is whole different issue. I never feel like it actually pulls in as much as it should. I always test it from time to time, and sure enough, if I drop a leaf somewhere near it, it pulls it in, but the amount of stuff it never pulls in always astounds me. Often as well, stuff is floating and not actually pulled into the basket itself. Again, just not sure if this part is normal or not since this is my first pool, but the pool technition that came said the pool has very good flow and that it is normal. Other than the first two days, the basket is never really full, but that could also be a side effect of me constantly using a net pulling out whatever I can.

For vacuuming, I have a polaris running 3 hours a day, and i've been brushing every day for the past week. Usually when I take the readings. This is my first pool opening doing it all from scratch so learning small bit here and there. The filter itself was cleaned at closing last year, and I haven't seen the PSI go up past 10 since it was turned on this year. When it was opened, it was charged with DE.

I did backwash it once already. Should I be recharging the DE often?

I did forget to add - I'm still unsure of my next steps. Other than the white floating flakes that the tiny amount of tiny amount black stuff that appears on the steps (I will take a picture tonight if it comes back again) not sure if I should be continuing to SLAM and keeping the FC high if the overnight test stayed the same. The water is pretty clear otherwise (and has been) and hasn't been cloudy since the very first shock treatment weeks ago.

I suggest you hold your SLAM value FC (or return to it) for 24 more hours and see if you have got the algae cleaned up. Stopping too soon is a common oversight and the little extra chlorine you burn is usually good insurance

One more full day of SLAMMING and it has come back again. Here is a picture (taken right before sunrise). Colors are weird because the pool light is on but the flash also went off. I had scrubbed it earlier right as the sun was setting and I was doing the last FC balance and testing for the day.

2XU6OmH.jpg

I also took a quick video of me walking around the pool (after scrubbing this away again) right before sunrise as well.

I am slamming it for one full 24 hour period, but I'll be out of liquid chlorine after today if I want to continue. (Glad I bought so much just in case).

Maybe the video might shine some light onto anything else I should be doing. Everything looks clear otherwise (the vacc is at the deep end which is 8ft 6in) and other than some specs in the water near the light and the flakes on the surface (which seem to kind of going away now, especially with me skimming a bunch of extra times daily now).

I should note too, that the areas near the diamonds seem to be slightly worn or cracked, not sure if something worse is happening there.

(Sorry for the vertical filming, I wasn't 100% awake and thinking)

So after 3 full days of keeping the FC at or slightly above the recommended SLAM level, this keeps coming back. Each night I past the overnight test too.

Any other recommendations? Should I be scrubbing this with anything beyond a brush?

As mentioned, in a lot of these places, there looks to be some tiny holes in the concrete too. Not sure if the holes were there before or whatever this is is causing them, but it has me worried now.

qwquc7t.jpg

heyjusX.jpg
Po6y3LH.jpg

I forgot to add that I also still am getting the clear floaty things in my pool. I wonder if somehow my skimmer is not skimming properly at this point. When I inherited the pool last year (in July) this was not an issue, so I don't know if did something wrong or if this a time of year thing, or what. I don't have a weir door on my pool, and the "standard kind" doesn't seem to fit at all. I'm going to not scrub for a day and then post the results just to get an idea of how much the black stuff is growing on the diamonds.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.