Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello all,

I've been using/reading TFP since 2013, but never posted before. Had a pool built in Texas back then and discovered TFP (too late) after the build, so made a few mistakes. Upgraded equipment over the years and stuck to the TFP method religiously (even "converted" a few friends). Back then, there was a lot of talk of Stenner pumps and I had tanks for both chlorine and MA as my pH was always rising (too much aeration in hindsight).

Fast forward a few years and now live in NY and inherited a 20 year old 35K IG pool. There was a lot of "deferred maintenance", as real estate agents like to say. Moved in last summer and before closing (itself a new concept to me) fixed some impressive leaks. The most interesting was a PVC tee embedded in the gunite to a return that had never been glued when the pool was built. Probably always leaked a little, but the gunite kept it to a minimum until it eroded way. At the same time did an extensive remodel, including re-setting of the bluestone paver deck, resetting of the bluestone coping, new plaster, new waterline tile, two new skimmers, new heater, new filter, new VS pump, some new plumbing (more to do) and new Jandy Purelink Panel (+spa side remote, iAqualink, and OneTouch in house). The attached spa has two sets of 4 jets that were never fully plumbed. The venturi tees were installed into the shell, but the jet niches were never installed and there were no jets at all, just 8, 2-inch holes around the spa. Took me weeks to figure out what was supposed to go in there. Fortunately, after many calls and photos of the holes, realized these were for Waterway Polystorm jets. Had the plaster installer put in the niches during the re-plaster and then I cut and installed the jets after opening this season. I use a Jandy Aqualink RS to run everything. It's what I had in Texas (when you could easily buy online) and there was some old gear in the current house which I was able to canabalize with the remodel. I know it's not as popular here since Zodiac pulled online sales. I still get good deals by calling the online retailers, but forgo any warranty.

This forum has been a lifesaver, so thanks to all the contributers. Based on the advice here, I've installed a SWG (undersized, but fortunately my pool is well-shaded and it is keeping up nicely without running 24/7). My water is crystal clear and (usually) well balanced. The pH tends to rise due to the new plaster. Can't count all the problems this forum has solved for me. A recent one was the constant water hammer from the autofill which was solved based on a post about using a pressure reducing valve (thanks @mknauss). I'll post a few write ups of some equipment I haven't seen reviewed here much (or at all) to pay it forward.

Reactions: mknauss
Welcome to posting on the forum!

All that great knowledge you have from your time viewing the forum -- join in more often!