Not quite sure..

It's conflicting because in one post you say you did it simply to get to 0 cc's

Then you say you couldn't pass the overnight test. I couldn't figure out which one came first.

Okay, moving forward....

Here's the SLAM termination requirements...
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Please note there is no zero in there.

We can go back and hash over how you got to this point and how frustrating it has been but it serves no purpose.

SLAM the pool until you meet the above requirements. I can think of no viable alternative.

Losing that much FC per night and not having to backflush your filter regularly would be unusual.

Also, your pressure is low for that large of a pump on that small filter. Does your pressure go to 0 when the pump is turned off (or is it a 2-speed pump)?

I hooked up a 1hp a few days ago because the 1.5 started leaking too bad.
I have two returns and the pressure drops to about 6 when I have both returns open full. If I only have one open the pressure is 9-10. The gauge works correctly. When off it goes to zero when on, I can see the needle slightly pulsing.
Hopefully by the end of the week I will have my 2speed 1hp pump up and running with new 2" pvc plumbing

Something seems not quite right. To recap:

1. Water was clear and no signs of algae (slippery walls, etc) BUT you had 1 CC
2. You SLAMMED because of the 1 CC and have not passed the 3-part test to allow you to quit slamming because you continue to have more than .5 CC
3. The test results you gave were taken in the last day or two and you know your CYA to be what you gave us above (I can't see it now, but I know it was there)
Is that correct? If not, fix the part I got wrong so we can help figure this out.

If that is correct, I'm left with wanting to be sure you are doing the test right.
a. 10 ml pool water in a clean cylinder
b. add one heaping scoop of powder
c. stir so it pinkens (is that a word?)
d. add R-0871 one drop at a time until it goes clear (FC= .5 x number of drops)
e. add 5 drops of R-0003.
f. stir and see if it goes off clear.
g. if goes pink at all, add R-0871 one drop at a time until it clears (if it takes more than 1 drop you have more than .5 CC). Taking one drop to go clear is okay.

If that all sounds correct, it appears you have something organic and you still need to SLAM. Puzzling.

That said, I think you are supposed to soak the cover in the pool at SLAM level for a bit so that both top and bottom of the cover get good and disinfected.

Correct That is how I do the test. My test starts red. Much darker than pink. I tried using a level scoop, then did the test again with a heaping scoop, and then a third time with 2 healing scoops. They all came out the same.

I test chlorine multiple times a day. I have only had my new test kit for a week and have already run out of one bottle of R-0871.

I'm thinking I might drain 14 or so inches of water and refilling. Then buy an intex swg and some salt. The cost of that is less than what I have spent on bleach this past week. That should help keep the chlorine level up during this process.

The CYA test has been done 3 times in the last week and have all been between 75 and 90

I was reading on here only a few days ago about something very similar to yours. The problem ended up being black algae that was growing between the skimmer and the wall. If I remember what I read, there was black algae encasing the gasket. May want to check that out. If I remember, it was a very similar problem to yours....chrystal clear water, just could not get rid of CC and was losing FC at a fast rate....I will try to find it for you and add a link

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for all the tips. It's starting to clear up. Last night I only lost 3ppm FC. The CC has finally gone down to ?.5

Guessing that means there is something growing on the steps. I did check around the returns and the skimmer. Had another hose break from sun damage. Now I only have one return but that seems to be the norm around here anyways.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the steps? I can wash the outside with a scrubby sponge but what about some of the little nooks? Will pouring straight bleach in them help?

Mr_Matthew_L said:
Thank you for all the tips. It's starting to clear up. Last night I only lost 3ppm FC. The CC has finally gone down to ?.5

Guessing that means there is something growing on the steps. I did check around the returns and the skimmer. Had another hose break from sun damage. Now I only have one return but that seems to be the norm around here anyways.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the steps? I can wash the outside with a scrubby sponge but what about some of the little nooks? Will pouring straight bleach in them help?

I did just that....poured bleach....I also took a spray bottle and sprayed into some of the holes in the ladder....tons of junky dirty water had come out...

Just a side note. I found an easy way to make bubbles....

9669311860_3fd3019f55_m.jpg

9666077929_5d77b54259_m.jpg

Used a twist tie and a piece of tubing from my fish tank.

I will clean up the steps tomorrow. I will redo the overnight test tonight. Hopefully I pass

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.