Not new to pools but salt water pool I am:/

Hello every one and hope the new year is going good.

Just purchased a new house and it has a salt water pool.
I am very familiar with a regular pool and maintenance but not salt water

so I assume and have seen I will sill test water and see what is needed but I want to know what chemical/product I need to purchase to be ready for this beast... I looked all over and could not get my answer directly

l,

Welcome to TFP... A great resource for all your pool maintenance questions, no matter what Beach you are from... :shark:

There is not much difference between taking care of a saltwater pool and a regular pool. With a non-saltwater pool you have to add chlorine... a saltwater pool just makes its own chlorine.

You need two main things to maintain a saltwater pool..

1. Muriatic Acid to lower pH...

2. A good test kit, so you know the chemical balance of your pool water. We recommend the TF-100 (what I have) or the Taylor K2006C (And yes, the 'C' is very important)..

I suggest you read through our pool school to see what we are all about.. Pool School - Pool School

We almost never tell people to run out and buy a bunch of stuff they will never need.. We let our pools "talk" to us and by looking at the test results, tell us exactly what our pools need..

This time of year, most Saltwater pools are too cold for the salt system to work.. Generally, when the water temperature gets below about 52 degrees the salt cell will automatically shut off. When this happens, we just add Liquid Chlorine, or just plain bleach, to chlorinate the pool until the water warms up. Since pools do not use much chlorine when the water is colder, it does not take much..

The very first thing you need to do is to "talk" with your pool and see what it needs... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

So a quality test kit, PH up and down and some liquid clorene
Short answer - depends. :) Of course reliable test results will dictate what you need. We don't advocate using pH up & down products commonly found at the pool store, mostly because there are other products that work just as well for much cheaper. The TFP Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page will show you everything we recommend for your water, to include "how" to add the product. Also below in our signatures you'll find important links to other pages that should help. Let us know if you have any questions.

Finally, at your next opportunity, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

The very first thing you need to do is to "talk" with your pool and see what it needs... :razz:

We're gonna have to start callin' you the *Pool Whisperer*, Jim :)

The only thing I will add to all the advice above is to order up the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test kit. You'll need to know an accurate level (and the device itself sometimes isn't as accurate as we'd like). You'll use it every month or two to monitor your levels. Salt only leaves the pool via splash out or by draining/backwashing out and refilling with salt free water. Every chemical you put in your pool adds a skosh of salt, most folks don't realize.

I recommend the TF-100 for your basic testing needs. It is the best buy and most preferred here, and along with the salt test above can be easily obtained from TFTestkits.net

Maddie :flower:

SWG pool is rather easy. Just make sure you have enough salt in the pool. My SWG has an ideal range of 3600ppm and just turn it on. It will take you a while and a lot of testing before you hit the sweet spot with your FC (free chlorine) range. I used to have mine on 60% but now down to 20%. 27k Gallons and I run my pump 6hrs a day. With the percentages I mentioned that it the amount of time the SWG will produce chlorine during it's run time. Example: I run 6hr with it set on 20% so my SWG produces chlorine for 1.2hr during it's run cycle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.