Not enough water flow for my cleaner

Foonly

May 24, 2018
St Augustine FL
Moved from here... https://www.troublefreepool.com/posts/1735352/bookmark

There is no longer enough flow to power my Great White crawler thing. I used to get it to run when the vacuum guage reads 12 in Hg (adjusted by partly closing the floor drain valve). But now at that setting the flow guage that came with the Great White barely moves off zero. If I crank the main drain more closed, the water level in the pump intake basket drops.

Also the positive pressure in the filter tank now reads about 7 PSI when it used to be 10 PSI.

The IntelliPro VSF pump is only a couple years old. These tests were made with the pump at 2300 RPM, which is the normal speed it runs at when the solar heater is engaged.

Thoughts:
1. something blocking the return pipe? Skimmer and Cleaner have separate pipes up to the pump station, but there a valve selects which feeds into the pump in parallel with the Floor Drain. Even in Skimmer mode it does not seem very enthusiastic. I do not have one of those Skimmer adapter plates for the cleaner to test that path with.
2. Or less oomph from the pump? Damaged impeller? I don't remember what its Watt-draw reading was before. Normal low speed (Solar not active) uses Flow mode, set at 20 GPM, which is very quiet. Does the pump actually measure the flow and cranks up the Watts to acheive that?

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is take everything apart and clean it. Make sure the power to the equipment is off at the breaker box before you start. Take the pump apart and make sure there are no leaves in the impeller. Clean the filter (please add what kind of filter you have to your signature).

Can you fill the water coming out of the returns? Are they all equal?

I hope this at least gets your started.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.