Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Alas, here I am. My Hayward Color logic 4.0 (SP0527LED50) died last season and we really missed fun night swimming and the ambient light.
I just pulled it out this afternoon and found it's been hiding a TON of funky algae back there which might explain the seemingly random blooms I periodically encountered the past couple of seasons despite feeling like I had levels dialed in pretty good.
Anywho, not sure I'm prepared to pony up the nearly $1k to replace it with OEM. I replaced the pump motor last summer and already have an expensive list of backyard honey-do's to contend with. So, is there any harm in going with a generic led replacement? I'm a little uncertain how a generic replacement fits in. Do they mount directly to the niche? Or do they get inserted into the old fixture somehow? Anyone had success or a brand they recommend?

Would appreciate some insight...Thanks!
And just for good measure, here are my current levels. FC is a bit high, I think I have the SWG turned up too high coming off slamming after opening.
FC - 15.5
CYA - 80
TA - 60-70
Ph - 7.5
PXL_20210409_001236476.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_001448710.jpg
    PXL_20210409_001448710.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 8
I recently replaced my ColorLogic with a Hayward Astrolite Incandescent. Only set me back about $400 installed vs the $1k for a replacement colorlogic. Also bought a set of colored light covers on Amazon. I figure that when the incandescent goes bad, I can replace with a led bulb for much cheaper than the colorlogic.

1617939250060.jpeg

Reactions: jasonwbaggett
@jbird0215 - Thanks again for the advice. Ordered the Astrolite this morning! Also got a fancy color changing LED per the wife's request. Not sure I can bring myself to crack it open and take out the OEM bulb but we'll see! Thanks for looking out for fellow Nashville pool fools.

Reactions: jbird0215
Glad it worked out. May hit you up in a couple years when my incandescent blows to see how the led bulb worked out for you. Not sure what’s up with these 60 degree days in Nashville but we are ready to kick off swim season. Take care.

@jbird0215 - Thanks again for the advice. Ordered the Astrolite this morning! Also got a fancy color changing LED per the wife's request. Not sure I can bring myself to crack it open and take out the OEM bulb but we'll see! Thanks for looking out for fellow Nashville pool fools.

Got it knocked out today! I'm pretty impressed with the LED replacement bulb.
The Astrolite fit the niche perfectly.

Feels good knowing if this bulb goes out, I can easily replace it for a reasonable amount vs. getting the colorlogic for $1k and worried it would go out in a couple of years.
PXL_20210425_173007199.jpgPXL_20210426_014954344.NIGHT.jpg

Got it knocked out today! I'm pretty impressed with the LED replacement bulb.
The Astrolite fit the niche perfectly.

Feels good knowing if this bulb goes out, I can easily replace it for a reasonable amount vs. getting the colorlogic for $1k and worried it would go out in a couple of years.
View attachment 326546View attachment 326547
Very nice! What LED bulb did you get?

It's a "Toveenen" 40 watt. Can't remember how I settled on it because there's other options in the same price range. I think the overall reviews and specs just seemed better. $130 on Amazon.
51xuMjLxyXL._AC_SY1000_.jpg51mr3YhCNUL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Reactions: jbird0215

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.