Not algae....but all this is just "stuff"? PIC

Just remember that there are two primary purposes of running the pump. One is to move the pool water through the filter to remove suspended particles faster than they get introduced into the pool. This helps to keep the pool from getting cloudy, but putting water through the filter doesn't have much to do with preventing algae unless the algae is already clumped or consolidated, say with a clarifier (PolyQuat is both an algaecide and a clarifier). Generally speaking, a pool should have at least one turnover of water through the filter each day (24 hour period), but this greatly depends on the amount of junk that gets into the pool. Pools that are usually covered may be able to get by with just 1 turnover or perhaps a little less while those that are uncovered and have higher bather loads or junk getting into the pool may require 1.5-2 turnovers. Water clarity is the easiest indicator to know whether the pump isn't being run enough (or at high enough speed to get the number of turnovers). In an SWG pool, having water run through the SWG helps kill free-floating algae as a portion of the water gets exposed to extremely high disinfecting chlorine levels so for this purpose, more turnovers per day are better (but not necessary if chlorine levels are maintained and circulation is good -- see below).

The other purpose of running the pump is to move the water around in the pool -- that is, to circulate it. This is to thoroughly mix all chemicals and to redistribute chlorine in case it gets used up locally in one area of the pool. Without this circulation, you can have chlorine in the pool and still get algae if for whatever reason some algae gets started in one area (say, introduced from a pool cover) and then the chlorine in that area gets consumed so now with zero chlorine in that area the algae can really take off. With a cover, the circulation just below the cover might be worse and if UV is able to get through the cover, then the chlorine level just below the cover could get close to zero.

Running the pump for 5 hours is normally too low. Even if a slower pump speed were used so you still had only around 1 turnover, having the pump on for a longer time of at least 8 hours would help prevent algae from growing by making sure chlorine got distributed everywhere. Even splitting up the time to be some during the day and some at night helps and can be done using a lower-speed pump which also saves a lot on electricity costs. Generally speaking, the only time you can't use this approach is if you solar-heat your pool since that requires higher flow rates. In my own pool with a variable-speed pump (Pentair IntelliFlo), I have it set to do one turnover at 26 GPM over 10 hours though on sunny days there is around 4-6 hours running at 48 GPM through the solar panels so I get more than one turnover on those days. If I didn't have the solar panels, I would have the pump running at an even lower GPM over a longer period of time, possibly split into two pieces for day and night.

Richard

Well I had originally planned on 7 hours a day. 5 daytime hours and 2 in the middle of the night. I then realized that the timer switch for some reason was not kicking on the pump at night...guess it wasnt screwed in correctly. That was about 2 months into having the pool and water stays very clear. Here is the math for the pool turnover rate.

My pool is 9500 gallons. Divided by 5 hours is 1900 gallons an hour. Divided by 60 is 31.6666 or 32 Gallons per minute to turnover pool water once. On my 3/4hp pump with 30' of head its produces 58gpm. At 40' 47gpm. I will say I have the avg. 40' head. That means in 5 hours I can turnover my pool water 1.5 times. I agree with the filtering at different times but found that 5 hours works very well. The only reason I developed the algae was due to the solar cover being on for 2 weeks straight with those other issues mentioned in the post.

So I do understand and agree with all that is said but havent encountered a problem in the normal day to day water. Another 2 hours or so a day would probably only add another $5-10 month so I will consider that in the spring when I reopen the pool. Planning on closing my pool in 2 weeks.

Ls

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.