cotomoto

Dec 23, 2022
Fallbrook, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have an inground pebble tech pool with inground hot tub at a home I bought 6 mths ago. Pool and equipment installed around 2001. Prior equipment maintenance history unknown. Pool/spa has two pumps and DE filter with hayward heater. Booster pump is hayward northstar SP4015X2ONS (2 hp) and is leaking from underside somwhere. Its not from drain plugs as I just changed orings. Guessing either a main seal or crack in pump body. Is this pump worth repairing or time to replace? Its outdoor above ground mount and all pump tags are faded and unreadable. i think all equipment is original aside from new gasket on DE filter and a new actuator valve. I don't see northstar pump model available on line for purchase by homeowner. I was hoping to replace inkind to avoid redoing all inlet/outlet piping but can if necessary. All input appreciated.

I don't see northstar pump model available on line for purchase by homeowner.
You probably will not be able to find a single speed or dual speed pump anymore because of DOE regulations:

But a leaking pump is easily fixed with a new seal as long as the bearings have not begun to rust. Is the pump noisy at all?

Welcome to TFP.

I think there is no drop in replacement for the Northstar pump. The Tristar VS comes with a base to line up the height but you will still need to plumb in the suction and discharge lines. The other pump that lines up height wise is the Pentair Whisperflo or Intelliflo

Last edited:
Get a variable speed pump.

Do you have automation or plan to get automation?

Your utility might offer a rebate.

What are your electricity rates?

You can probably go from 2,000 watts to about 200 watts.

You probably will not be able to find a single speed or dual speed pump anymore because of DOE regulations:

But a leaking pump is easily fixed with a new seal as long as the bearings have not begun to rust. Is the pump noisy at all?
no noise, just sun faded and 22 yrs old

22 yrs is a bit long in the tooth but the housing can last a good long time. VS just seems like a waste for a booster. BTW, what is the application, spa jets?

Post pics of your equipment pad showing the pumps and plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.