Northeast Ohio (Canton) - Looking for "On Ground" pool for our sloping yard

Jul 18, 2017
North Canton/Ohio
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for the last couple weeks and finally decided to post. First off, I am amazed at what I have learned just by reading forum posts and the information in "Pool School." I would like to thank everyone for your information, it is easy to understand and has enlightened me a great deal. Enough butt kissing ?

We would like to get a pool but our back yard slopes about 38"-40" downward from front to back (length of about 40') which limits our choices (budget of about $25,000 - $30,000 including pool, equipment, excavation, installation, concrete, decking/fencing, etc.). The best solution I have found is an "on ground" pool that allows us to dig into the yard to bury one end of the pool and allow the sloped end to remain exposed.

I have gone to 2 pool stores, Ohio Pools and Spas (who sells Radiant Pools) and Homestead Pools Home of Homestead Family Pools
who sells a pool that has steel sides but can be buried or left exposed.

We have 2 boys (11 and 7) and they love to jump into the pool so a deep end is preferred. We will use the pool pretty much everyday in the summer (we are both teachers) and do some entertaining but not really large groups.

Both gave us quotes including:

*Pool, Excavation, installation, SWG, pump, liner, starter kit (with skimmer, solar and winter covers, etc.), heater, steps into pool (see differences for each), sand filter, 1 LED light, Pentair intellibrite controller, ladder, as well as some other things.

We must find and pay for:
Extra poolside space: concrete
Electrician
Plumber Gas Line

Links to 2 pool stores:
Ohio Pools and Spas - Cleveland, Akron, Canton Ohio
Home of Homestead Family Pools

OHio Pools and Spas = Radiant 16x28 Oval - 52" deep or Radiant 17x26 Freeform - 52" deep

includes *
Radiant Brand fencing around pool
drop in steps ( on top of liner )

Approx. $32,000

Homestead Pools = Family Pools (I'm guessing that's the brand) 17x30 Elongated Octagon with 8' deep end
includes *
Custom liner with steps

$22,000

Ohio Pools and Spas:
Pros:
Backside of pool is finished
Lifetime Warranty (not pro-rated)
Insulated
Provide installation and excavation
Fencing installed on pool edge included in price

Cons:
Overall more expensive for everything
Drop in steps
Flat Bottom so Deepest is 52" (realistically 48")

Homestead Pools:
Pros:
Cheaper by over $10,000
Deep end (up to 8')
Smaller "Family Business"
Liner over steps (not drop in)
We can use our excavator (father-in-law so would be cheaper than quote)

Cons:
Backside of pool is exposed steel so must landscape more
Will need to pay for decking around pool and Fencing
Not insulated (not sure how much insulation helps in reality) I am in NE Ohio
Lifetime Warranty but prorated

I know I'm forgetting some things but the Homestead Pools pool seems like a "slam dunk" winner. I appreciate anyone's input as to what I may have missed or your opinions. We would like to dig in October.

So......

1. Does anyone in NE Ohio have any other recommendations for pool brands or companies (other than Ohio Pools and Spas and Homestead Pools) that will do an on-ground pool?

2. Anyone in NE Ohio have recommendations for fence/concrete installers?

3. Does insulation really help?

4. Will salt water damage the steel structure of the pool (I read a couple posts saying it did)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin H.

Re: Northeast Ohio (Canton) - Looking for "On Ground" pool for our sloping yard

Don't forget you could do most of in as your own Pool Builder (PB) and cut out the middle man. Find people in the trades and ask them who they would use of this and that job. Go from there.

As for what pool........I would be worried about the steel pool being in dirt. I can (will?) rust over time. Have you look online and price Radiant? Have you hear about Doughboy pools? Those are the two that come to mind when I think of semi in ground.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the response. I have read in the forum about doughboy pools and Fox "Ultimate" pools but have yet to look if there is someone in our area that sells them. I think with the Homestead option I can basically do that if i want. They can provide recommendations for installers, electricians, plumbers, etc.... but they have the steel wall pool which worries me.

I live in NE Ohio, up on the lake and I must have met with 20 pb's for my IG Hybrid pool rehab project before I settled on one from down around North Canton. His name is Bob King, King's Precision Pool's, family business for 40 some years. Tremendous help, pleasure to work with, fair prices too.

Kings Precisions Pools - inground Swimming Pools, Liner Changes, Pool Service

Good luck!

Welcome Kevin!

I have an in-ground that came with my house.

When I visit the pool store for parts, I go to the Great Escape in Belden. Never pressure me, and have the best prices I've seen for parts and nets, brushes, etc. They also do partial in-ground installs (oh, and if you sit through their "Pool School" they will give you a coupon for a percentage off anything in the store (If I remember correctly, it's 10% and you can use it on anything, including hot tubs (I used mine on a solar cover)... I went the first year I had my pool, before I found this wonderful forum).

When I had my liner changed (the 2nd time because the 1st one messed it up and I had to replace it after 2 seasons), I used Atlantic Pools. They did a wonderful job, and even came back out the next year to show me how to remove water from behind the liner due to the high water table. I'm not sure if they do partial in-ground installs or not.

Good Luck... and make sure you treat yourself with one of the recommended test kits! Best money I spent on my pool. :D

I live in NE Ohio, up on the lake and I must have met with 20 pb's for my IG Hybrid pool rehab project before I settled on one from down around North Canton. His name is Bob King, King's Precision Pool's, family business for 40 some years. Tremendous help, pleasure to work with, fair prices too.

Kings Precisions Pools - inground Swimming Pools, Liner Changes, Pool Service

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I will check his site out and contact him.

Welcome Kevin!

I have an in-ground that came with my house.

When I visit the pool store for parts, I go to the Great Escape in Belden. Never pressure me, and have the best prices I've seen for parts and nets, brushes, etc. They also do partial in-ground installs (oh, and if you sit through their "Pool School" they will give you a coupon for a percentage off anything in the store (If I remember correctly, it's 10% and you can use it on anything, including hot tubs (I used mine on a solar cover)... I went the first year I had my pool, before I found this wonderful forum).

When I had my liner changed (the 2nd time because the 1st one messed it up and I had to replace it after 2 seasons), I used Atlantic Pools. They did a wonderful job, and even came back out the next year to show me how to remove water from behind the liner due to the high water table. I'm not sure if they do partial in-ground installs or not.

Good Luck... and make sure you treat yourself with one of the recommended test kits! Best money I spent on my pool. :D

Thanks for the reply. I did go there and for some reason they seemed somewhat confused and disinterested in what I was looking for. There were 3 sales guys standing by the basketball hoop talking and I had to ask them for assistance. It could be the guys I talked with had very little knowledge of the pool I am looking for. It was raining heavily but I though I saw a couple of the semi-inground pools I was talking about. Atlantic Pools new store is right by my house in North Canton, I stopped in and the guy said they do in-ground only.

Thanks for the reply. I did go there and for some reason they seemed somewhat confused and disinterested in what I was looking for. There were 3 sales guys standing by the basketball hoop talking and I had to ask them for assistance. It could be the guys I talked with had very little knowledge of the pool I am looking for. It was raining heavily but I though I saw a couple of the semi-inground pools I was talking about. Atlantic Pools new store is right by my house in North Canton, I stopped in and the guy said they do in-ground only.
Wow! I've never had a problem at Great Escape, however I wasn't purchasing a pool and usually only stop in maybe twice a season.

1 thing I have done differently since I had a bad install on a liner, I check the court websites for lawsuits. Sure enough, that company had a few in Summit and Stark.

Good Luck!

Wow! I've never had a problem at Great Escape, however I wasn't purchasing a pool and usually only stop in maybe twice a season.

1 thing I have done differently since I had a bad install on a liner, I check the court websites for lawsuits. Sure enough, that company had a few in Summit and Stark.

Good Luck!

Great advice.... did not even think of that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Another installer in the area is Summer Fun Pools in Lisbon. Worth a phone call at least to see what they offer.

thanks, I will call them today

Kayak gave us quotes for 2 different pool sizes installed in 2 different directions. Our backyard is sloped and of the 2 we would rather use the sloped portion of the yard for pool as opposed to going parallel to the house.

16x24 installed perpendicular to the house (to save some yard for kids to play in) for $34,000
*would need upgraded 48" fence and more excavation
16x32 installed parallel to the house for about $30,000 (bigger pool but will use a great deal of the backyard space.

Recessed Pools - Kayak Pools Midwest

These quotes include deck/swg/installation/excavation/cartridge filter/pool covers/starter kit

we would still provide:
electrician
plumber (gas line for gas heater.. although salesman says we would not need a heater)
sand
water
backfill ourselves
get rid of excavated dirt

Extras for pool salesman said would be cheaper for us to do:
drop in steps
led light
Heater

This seems like quite a bit but I have heard/read Kayaks are very good Pools.

I went to Homestead pools and was given a much cheaper quote for their pool:

Homestead Familiy Pools Onground

i will also call Summer Fun Pools

Any suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated

(gas heater.. although salesman says we would not need a heater)

Extras for pool salesman said would be cheaper for us to do: Heater

Any suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated

You should decide if you need a heater, not the salesman. He won't live there and use the pool. Decision is based on how warm you want the water and how long you want your "open" season to be and how much you want to pay to heat the pool. Go with the biggest heater within your budget and be sure your gas main can handle the extra flow. The gas flow and cost to heat are not trivial. Upgrading the gas meter isn't cheap either.

Make sure the pump is either a 2 speed or variable speed. Make sure your SWG is rated for at least 2x the gallons of your pool. Don't let the salesman talk you out of either of these 2 points. He wont pay your electric bill or replace your SWG if it won't keep up. You would want at least a 150 sqft cartridge filter. If you have it, post up a full equipment list and we can make some recommendations.

My vote is to run the pool perpendicular to the house. That would leave you more room for patio / deck next to the house.

What wall height are you looking at?

You should decide if you need a heater, not the salesman. He won't live there and use the pool. Decision is based on how warm you want the water and how long you want your "open" season to be and how much you want to pay to heat the pool. Go with the biggest heater within your budget and be sure your gas main can handle the extra flow. The gas flow and cost to heat are not trivial. Upgrading the gas meter isn't cheap either.

Make sure the pump is either a 2 speed or variable speed. Make sure your SWG is rated for at least 2x the gallons of your pool. Don't let the salesman talk you out of either of these 2 points. He wont pay your electric bill or replace your SWG if it won't keep up. You would want at least a 150 sqft cartridge filter. If you have it, post up a full equipment list and we can make some recommendations.

My vote is to run the pool perpendicular to the house. That would leave you more room for patio / deck next to the house.

What wall height are you looking at?

Thanks. I will post the info. I have once I get it.
kayak pool walls are either 48" or 52" high. We are also thinking of getting a deep end which will make the depth 5'5"- 6'

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.