North Texas Pool Temps in July/Aug

You should see it here lol last year for labor day weekend mine was at 98 so we turned a sprinkler on over it lol
We are on well water - so it's always cold. When the pool gets hot, the sprinkler over the pool comes on!
Nice contrast - body is hot in the water, cold out of the water!

My pool hit 91º yesterday - brutal.

Reactions: joboo7777
We were out of town last week, finally visiting our grandson after more than a year! When we left, air temps were still in the 80s and our pool temp was in the mid-70s. Came home to 100° and pool temp of 87°. Started up our chiller for the first time. Pool only cooled down to 81° due to the humidity, but as long as I can keep it no hotter than mid- to upper-80s, I’ll be happy.

We added the chiller several years after building the pool. Best investment I’ve made in pool equipment, as we now enjoy the pool all summer. We have the evaporative type of chiller, like a swamp cooler, so it’s not expensive to run like a heat pump with a chiller option. Prior to the chiller, our pool water would hit 95° around July 4 and that was pretty much the end of the swim season. I had tried everything, from pool misters to sail shades. Misters would provide a slight overnight cooling, but water temp would rise back to the 90s during the day. Plus, the mist would blow into the landscaping, which damaged quite a few plants. Sail shades didn’t do much, as they only really provided shade when the sun was directly overhead. Any angle would allow sunlight to hit the pool. And my wife hated them.
How long did it take the chiller to cool the pool down to 81? 6 degrees sounds pretty good to me! When using chiller what is your temp at around 2-3 pm?

thanks!

I’m having serious regrets about not adding a heater or chiller to our build last summer. The water temp never got above 80° (which is still too cold for me) until this week and today‘s pool temp is 90°. This will be our first summer too and I was hoping for a more refreshing feel, but unfortunately we have zero shade.

I keep seeing FB ads for a local company that makes what appears to be the pool equivalent of a sunshade, but we would need a number of them, making it kind of pricy. I’m waffling between saving the money for an actual heater and chiller or seeing if it works. I’m sure prices have gone up, but what are the ballpark prices for a decent heater and chiller?

How long did it take the chiller to cool the pool down to 81? 6 degrees sounds pretty good to me! When using chiller what is your temp at around 2-3 pm?
That 6° drop was after 12 hours during a humid night. I’m going to run it all night again tonight since the humidity has dropped quite a bit. Water temp should be below 80° in the morning. The warmest the pool reached today was 84° which is perfect for me.

what are the ballpark prices for a decent heater and chiller?
I paid around $3500 for the Glacier chiller, including installation. It’s not a heater/chiller combo. That type of chiller is more like an AC unit in terms of the cost to run it. I researched those, but already had a heater and was worried about electricity cost. The Glacier has rotating wands that spray water down into grids with a large fan blowing over the grids, using evaporation to cool the water, much like a swamp cooler that you see in homes in very arid environments. It doesn’t work as well with high humidity, but it works fine in the DFW area. I’ve never monitored electricity consumption, but the only thing constantly running is the fan motor, so it can’t consume much. Having said that, the pool pump is also running. It’s a beast in terms of size, but not all that heavy. Luckily, I had room in the equipment area. I just used an AC pad to have it installed on.

Reactions: HermanTX
That 6° drop was after 12 hours during a humid night. I’m going to run it all night again tonight since the humidity has dropped quite a bit. Water temp should be below 80° in the morning. The warmest the pool reached today was 84° which is perfect for me.

I paid around $3500 for the Glacier chiller, including installation. It’s not a heater/chiller combo.

can you tell me which model you installed? I just got a quote for 4700 including a 4x4 cement slab, gas and electrical hookup. Sounds like prices may have gone up. :(

can you tell me which model you installed? I just got a quote for 4700 including a 4x4 cement slab, gas and electrical hookup. Sounds like prices may have gone up. :(
GPC-210. I think it’s rated up to 30k gallons and our pool is 25.5k gallons. There’s no gas required, so if that’s really quoted in the installation, you should question it. The plumbing seemed pretty simple, but I wasn’t comfortable doing it myself. Same with electrical. I had mine added to my automation system so that I could program start and stop times.

Looks like my pool has cooled down a bit. Currently 86. the latest heat wave should be a good indication of what July/aug temps will be. My average high during that time was 93. Hoping that will be the cap for remainder of summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just hit 94 today! Thought maybe I topped out at 93 but with multiple 100 day temps here in DFW I’m guess I’m still climbing. Cold front coming in next week. It will only be 93!😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.