North Texas Pool Build, Almost Complete

Very nice price! I know it's on the smaller basic end but I've been told many times just the basic pool starts at $40k. Not to mention, it looks beautiful.

Rule of thumb is you'll get half the pool in equity. Pools are not investments, they are entertainment vehicles.

I'd agree that the half price rule can be accurate, especially on higher end builds. Running comps with two different realtors we noticed about a $25k premium for a pool and they tend to sell close to 50% faster.

The alternative which was to sell our home and move to another with an existing pool just didn't make sense financially. By the time you pay 3-4% to sell, then add in closing costs and mortgage costs, the $10k of resale value we won't see is actually a better deal in our opinion.

On the subject of our price, we actually went with the PB we really wanted, but to our surprise they were $6-$10k less than the other builders, two of which are known to be low-cost leaders. We expected our PB to be wayyyy higher than the others. They have a very strong reputation as well.

My plug for the TFP way, which eschews using any metals based equipment (Nature 2) or ozone is that the process here is based on, literally, the most sound science possible by some of the smartest people in the country on the topic of pool chemistry. Being blunt but straightforward and honest, your friend is quite likely not on the same level as the TFP 'founding fathers' (which certainly doesn't include me). PB's and pool maintenance folks are quite often, (usually in fact) not on the same page as the TFP methodology for a variety of reasons. Not all of which are negative towards them, some of which are just reality based due to how often they visit a given pool, etc.
The longer I'm around, the more fascinated I am by the astounding level of profound knowledge that helped to develop the 'simple' trouble free pool care method.
Metals can cause havoc in a pool long term. And ozone/UV are only active when running and therefore provide no residual FC while turned off. There is nothing inherently wrong with using ozone or UV, but they are unnecessary, redundant and more costly in the long term to purchase, run and maintain/replace. As well as adding unnecessary complexity to your equipment setup. Incidentally, the sun provides all the benefits you need from UV unless perhaps you are handling commercial pool levels of bather load and need the extra oxidizing capabilities or have an indoor pool with no UV. A SWCG or bleach are all you need to sanitize your pool, both of which are completely and inherently safe when used in accordance with the FC/CYA relationship chart, so there is no need to reduce their use.
Glad to have you here. We are here solely to help you learn the best/easiest method to maintain a safe pool.

Today the start-up crew was out to acid wash the decking, seal our stonework, and fire up the equipment. To their surprise neither the Del Ozonator or the Nature 2 were plumbed in. The Del was wired and mounted, but never plumbed in. The Nature 2 has been sitting in a box out there for over a month, but someone forgot to plumb it in.

I'm looking at it as a potential blessing in disguise. The pool tech that was out said there likely isn't room to install them without serious modification to the plumbing. I've requested removal of the Del and to issue a credit for both the Del and Nature 2 to be used against the cost of my sod and fence work that is being wrapped up. It's about a $900 credit so it would be a nice offset for the remaining work.

Will cross my fingers and hope they decide to honor my request. Kind of funny because when we first started the planning I was very firm on "just give me a darn chlorine pool". Eventually I got sucked into the Ozone/Nature2. Now it looks like I may end up with the straight chlorine pool after all. Will wait and see!

- - - Updated - - -

Great looking pool. I'm doing the Aqua Blue pebble as well. Love the way it looks in your pool!

We love it, especially with the darker pool line tile we chose. The Intellicolor LED (mode #11) looks awesome with it as darkness falls!

It looks great!

We're still in the bidding process but our pool will be the exact same dimensions as yours so your pics were very helpful! I considered scrapping the idea of putting a pool in that would be so narrow but my 2 boys love to be in the water so we're gonna go ahead and take the plunge.

Side discussion about UV moved to Side UV disscussion from North Texas Pool Build Zea3
Incidentally, the sun provides all the benefits you need from UV unless perhaps you are handling commercial pool levels of bather load and need the extra oxidizing capabilities or have an indoor pool with no UV.

The Sun's UV rays can only work on the surface of the pool hence the claim that UV sanitation from the sun is the same as a pool's UV system is incorrect.

Moderator's note: Please make any additional UV discussion posts at Side UV disscussion from North Texas Pool Build so we can keep lantanapoolbuild's thread on topic. Thank you, Zea3

It looks great!

We're still in the bidding process but our pool will be the exact same dimensions as yours so your pics were very helpful! I considered scrapping the idea of putting a pool in that would be so narrow but my 2 boys love to be in the water so we're gonna go ahead and take the plunge.

Would we have loved a wider pool, sure. In all honestly it ended up feeling like a great size once we were all swimming in it last night. Probably wouldn't be the size to invite over a half dozen families for a pool party, but that's why we have 5 community pools here.

At the end of the day the kids were having a blast jumping off the wall and we enjoyed chilling on the built-in bench and baja shelf with a cold
beer in hand.

This is our little slice of heaven!

Looks awesome! We went with the same plaster, and so far love the color. We are filling as we speak. You had such a great backyard space to begin with, I would have had a hard time tearing out those plants! But, the new space looks even better!

Some updated shots with the new equipment blind that was built yesterday. Needs a little stain and perhaps some metal artwork. Hoping for the sod on the back wall early this week and then we'll be adding some new bushes to replace all of the stuff that was ripped out and destroyed during construction. I spent a couple hours removing bushes yesterday that were notorious for attracting wasps (kids were scared to death of going in the backyard). Looks so bare compared to our pre-dig backyard just 5 weeks ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well it's been 4 weeks since start-up and we're just now putting some finishing touches on the backyard setup. We went back and forth with our PB over sod, as they tried to install sod that was deader than dead, ultimately they caved and brought in some fresh Bermuda. They also came and stained the equipment blind.

Just today we had the pergola completed. It is wired with two outlets for TVs and a switched receptacle for a ceiling fan, so those will be a project for this weekend. A local handyman completed the entire pergola for about 40% less than the PB quoted, so we're quite happy.

Other than some remaining landscape items (rock, few more bushes) it is about a wrap on the project. All in we came out at roughly $38k, so we're pretty happy.

As far as pool maintenance, we've done a good job at maintaining proper chlorine and PH, although we've done it in a frowned upon way (chlorinator). Starting this weekend we're going to start brining traditional bleach into the picture and embrace (for the most part) the TFP method.....that chlorinator is just so handy though! We're using a test kit off Amazon that was rated similar to the TF, but lacks a few of the features. We'll likely upgrade to that or the Taylor over the next month.

A question for you savvy vets: with a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, what's a reasonable speed to set it at if we're looking to run for 12-ish hours? We find the sheer descent doesn't operate well below 1800, but I can easily adjust when we want the water feature running.

Quite a few of new pools are started with the tablets. We are not against them really as they do have their place-starts up, vacy, long weekend, etc. What we teach is knowing what you put in your pool AND what it will do to the pool.

So you ARE following the TFP way! :hug:

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.