North Carolina

Very excited this evening! :bounce: Our pool dig starts tomorrow. Yay!!

The landscaper came by yesterday to determine the pool deck/landscaping elevation. Apparently our yard is not as flat as we had assumed. ? Since the pool is on the left side of the yard, we’re wondering about the grading impact towards the neighbors. PB said regardless of increasing the elevation, the water would have drained into their yard. Inserting pic but it’s hard to see the orange thread. Basically, they are adding dirt around pool to be level with grass height at base of detached garage.
476091DF-6CE3-42F0-B186-38A353FFCB98.jpeg

We rationalized that it might be OK because we have a lot of landscaping planned that will consume the run off - arbor vitaes, hydrangeas and a bunch of other flowering shrubs that I’m learning names of, lol. I suspect the neighbors might be a little annoyed...

One hour away before they arrive!

gvalas I just looked where you live..................run and look at your weather radar!! I know we have a huge storm heading our way down here in FL and it looks like it is a long one. Will it go all the way up your way?? If so you do NOT want them to dig today!!! If they dig today the rain could cause cave ins :( Yeah they can fix it but...............it will be an even bigger mess than if they wait.

gvalas I just looked where you live..................run and look at your weather radar!! I know we have a huge storm heading our way down here in FL and it looks like it is a long one. Will it go all the way up your way?? If so you do NOT want them to dig today!!! If they dig today the rain could cause cave ins :( Yeah they can fix it but...............it will be an even bigger mess than if they wait.

Thanks for checking! We’re good on weather today. Tomorrow there will be thunderstorms. We’ve been tracking closely. :)

Also, are cave in’s an issue with clay? NC soil is like cement and even more so during rains.

Today is dig. Tomorrow and Saturday are the build.

Update:
The dig was crazy fast this morning (3.5 hours). Adding pic. Let’s see how tomorrow goes!
55DE0CB2-F252-4B61-B591-CD15BFEFBAED.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, today was a bust. The weather hasn’t been that bad considering all the warnings, so they could have made progress. It was actually the PB’s plan, but his distributor arrived late with the required materials, and... they weren’t the materials for our pool. It was someone else’s stuff. (n)

Anyhow, weather should clear out over night and they’ll be back in the morning. The correct materials arrived late this morning so they should be able to get going first thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That weather got our area good! Many "wind events" from it but nothing a good chain saw could not take care of!!

They sent the stuff for another pool to your house/?? OH MY! Glad they caught it before any damage was done! :shock:

Looks like things are moving along great now!!!

Kim:kim:

It definitely has been a long 4 weeks. The PB is about a week behind due to other jobs. Reminding myself we'll have the pool for the entire summer, so no biggie.

We're waiting on the inspector for the pool patio forms. He should be by today. Concrete will be poured on Thursday. We're going with a regular broom finish patio, and a sealed stone gray coping (Scofield is the material). It should look like below, which is a pool the PB has completed. One thing though -- our contract specifies a "stamped" concrete coping. As we've been going through the process, we've decided that we don't like the stamped look. What other ways can they design the concrete coping? Stone coping is not in the budget.

1558441989505.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.