Normal PH with High Alkalinity

LadyRyan

Mar 17, 2021
Brooksville, FL
I have had a new intex type pool (5,100 gal) up for a few weeks. I use a summer waves SWG and intex sand filter. I have been monitoring with test strips just to make sure I don’t see any crazy changes and finally took my water to get tested at a pool store yesterday. I am a little confused whether or not I should try to adjust the alkalinity.

Per TFP, my ideal level is 60-80 with 90 max. The pool store shows 120-140 as normal. My results were 120.

My PH is in good range 7.8 per TFP so I’m worried if I try to lower the alkalinity it will automatically lower the PH.

Am I missing something? There’s a big difference between 60-80 and 120 ppm so I’m afraid of ignoring it. Thank you for any input! Ryan

Attachments

• D0F025BD-2E36-4811-8E05-6CFCDF6B3C91.jpeg
    D0F025BD-2E36-4811-8E05-6CFCDF6B3C91.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 10
LR, probably the first thing I would recommend is to refrain from pool store testing or advice. Most of the times it is not accurate and certainly is not compatible with TFP recommendations. That's because we take into account MANY more variables for each pool type and condition that they do. So priority #1 for you should be to get your own "proper" test kit - either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. They cost a few bucks, but pay for themselves in accuracy and less maintenance.

To answer your basic questions, as long as your pH is at 7.8 or below, you can leave the TA alone. Even if it's a little elevated right now, it won't have a huge impact on your overall chemistry, and it will slowly drop each week/month when you add muriatic acid to control the pH. Keep your focus on the pH mostly and you should do fine. Hope that helps.

Reactions: borjis and LadyRyan
Thank you Texas Splash. That is what I was hoping to hear. I knew I’d be addressing the PH at some point and was hoping the TA could wait. I will definitely be ordering a kit. I am finally gaining a bit more confidence and enjoying this learning experience. So thankful for this group and the tools provided.

Reactions: Texas Splash
You have to turn the mobile device sideways and *poof* they appear.

TA at 120 or under usually settles into its happy place. If your PH doesn’t swing as you go forward, let it be. :)

Reactions: LadyRyan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.