Normal for pool to eventually get algae on walls and floor?

ForceEdge

Aug 7, 2020
Long Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So yea, my pool started getting algae on pool walls and floor. Just some green spots that I just brushed now. Is this normal to happen even though I’m adding liquid chlorine every night? Take into account I opened my pool about 3 weeks ago, and haven’t brushed pool walls or floor since I opened. But I saw it start to form about 3-4 days ago. Brushed it all off and I’m about to give it a mild shock. Also take it to account my pool gets a good amount of direct sunlight

Is this normal and what do you recommend?
Thanks!

F,

No it is not.. If you keep your FC at your target for your CYA you will not get algae..

I have three pool that in total have been TFP saltwater pools for about 25 years.. I have never , ever gotten algae.. In fact I shy away for talking details about how to SLAM as I have never had to do it...

The key in my mind is to never let your FC drop much below your Target FC level.. This is pretty easy for a SWCG pool, but a little harder for Liquid Chlorine pool. You need to make sure that your FC is close to your target just before you add your daily dose of chlorine.. Because this dose of chlorine needs to last for 24 hours until you dose again.

Tells us what your CYA level is, and what FC you have been maintaining..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ForceEdge
F,

No it is not.. If you keep your FC at your target for your CYA you will not get algae..

I have three pool that in total have been TFP saltwater pools for about 25 years.. I have never , ever gotten algae.. In fact I shy away for talking details about how to SLAM as I have never had to do it...

The key in my mind is to never let your FC drop much below your Target FC level.. This is pretty easy for a SWCG pool, but a little harder for Liquid Chlorine pool. You need to make sure that your FC is close to your target just before you add your daily dose of chlorine.. Because this dose of chlorine needs to last for 24 hours until you dose again.

Tells us what your CYA level is, and what FC you have been maintaining..

Thanks,

Jim R.

thank you for that! I will get back on CYA levels I have to test that. What do you recommend CYA levels be at? Also, I really wanted to switch to a salt water generator as well, but a few friends I spoke to keep advising against it because of rust, and I have pavers and they have a negative effect on them.. Not sure what to do on it. What’s been your experience?

thanks again!!

Also, I really wanted to switch to a salt water generator as well, but a few friends I spoke to keep advising against it because of rust, and I have pavers and they have a negative effect on them.
Bet they get ‘free water tests’, offer you advice on weekly shock treatments and monthly flocs.

Salt is the best thing ever. If you have a poor quality material it will rust from moisture. Your 3 inch thick quality stones will be just fine.

also I wanted to add to the above great advice keeping your FC up. You need to regularly brush the pool too, at least weekly. If you get the right robot, that counts too. But algae grows a protective film over itself to protect it from the harsh environment. Brushing removes the film and gets the algae exposed to the water.

With vinyl, you will feel it getting slippery/slimy anytime it’s time to brush. If you feel any slip to it at all, have at it, regardless if the week is up yet.

F,

When you learn a myth while you are young, it becomes a "fact" as you get older, no matter what the truth is.. :mrgreen:

My three pools have no rust, no equipment problems, no decking problem, nothing at all that is related to them being saltwater pools.

The Ocean, which is near you, has about 35,000 ppm of salt.. Saltwater pools have about 3,500 ppm of salt, or about the same as your tears..

I have not seen any first-hand damage of any kind reported here at TFP.. It is always the ... "I have friend, brother, or uncle and his whole pool fell into the ocean because it was a saltwater pool".. Yet no one has shown us any proof.. If you have two pools, the same age, and running side by side, and they both have a pump failure on the same day.. I can guarantee that "they" will say the saltwater killed the pump in the saltwater pool, yet the other pool just had an normal equipment problem. No logic is every applied when a myth is involved.. :rolleyes:

I will never have another pool unless it is a saltwater pool.

The key is still the same.. You have to maintain your FC and CYA in a proper relationship. See this chart.. There is a Chlorine tab and a saltwater tab.. FC/CYA Levels

Here is a link to our recommended levels.. What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.