Normal Drain vs Deck o Drain Janitor vs Removalable Deck Drain

gnr5

May 28, 2019
Miami, FL
Hi, in the process of building our pool. We have a concrete deck, a friend of mine just spent the memorial day weekend replacing his 10-year-old deckodrain, he suggested into looking at getting a drain with a removable cover. PB said it would cost about $300-400 extra for 40 feet. Reading the forum looks like the Deck O Drain Janitor from deckdrainjanitor.com might be a feasible solution

So my options are:
  1. Spend $400 for a drain with a removable cover
  2. Deck Drain Janitor (it would cost me about $30 + a few hours of installation)
  3. Do nothing, and try to keep the drain clean and water it about once a month, deal with a possible repair later.
Not really looking into spending $400 more unless it is worth it. Thoughts?

I don't like the channel drains. They look cheap in addition to cracking and breaking down the road. For some reason roots love them and they seem like they are always clogged.

I use brass spot drains and have yet to have an issue. If you're going to spend money on anything drain-wise then use Sch40 PVC, glued with sweep fittings. A couple strategically placed clean outs could certainly be worth their weight in gold as well

Reactions: kimkats
I agree but it depends on the deck layout. I use channel drains all the time but we do mostly pavers. I use the stegmeier adjustable drains alot. There are some micro channels that have a removable cover. I'd never use a non accessible drain. Always have a clean out and make sure to maintain them. I like to use gravel with hidden pipe on the short and backsides if feasible and just do main area with visible drains. Spot drains require complex pitching the guys have to be good wit the laser amd grade otherwise its noticable dips

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.