Noobie with a starter pool

techguy said:
I guess for quick and easy, get some plastic bender board and make a ring about the pool about 12-18 inches away from the edge, Fill the area between the bender board and pool with large tanbark or rock.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Do you think bender board or that black rubber kind would work better?

techguy said:
bring your truck to their place and scoop your own.
Yeah we have a place like that here. Thanks for the advice!

The slope before we put the pool up:
slope.jpg

This is the leg that is lower than the rest:
help-me-leg.jpg

20120717151542-edit1.jpg

2012-07-17-142515.jpg

20120717142525-2jpg.jpg

The gaps:
gaps.jpg

frogabog said:
This is a nice happy thread. Like was mentioned, it would be sad if it turned into a green pool thread.
Yes green is not my color of choice!

frogabog said:
How can we convince you to get/order a test kit, and then go get building materials for the pool?
Show my DH something that is unbalanced and making it unsafe for us to swim in! We live next to Lake Erie and if we come out of that nasty water healthy he thinks we will be fine just adding chlorine. :blah: :hammer:

I don't know if they have something less expensive. I can't drop $80+ on a test kit. He didn't want the pool and I'm do-do for getting it anyway! :party:

swtaspie said:
I don't know if they have something less expensive. I can't drop $80+ on a test kit. He didn't want the pool and I'm do-do for getting it anyway! :party:

You can order the TF50 for $45 + shipping or you can fight with the cheap kit from Wal-Mart...I know. I tried to get off cheap and I ended buying twice.

The money you spend on the kit will save you money on the other chemicals to make your pool blue after turning green.
$80 is typically less the one trip to the Pool$tore for "Free" testing.

Get a GOOD test kit. 6 way strips would be better than nothing at this point, but get a good test kit. I'm VERY glad I did. I had trouble every year with the smaller pools we had, but since I found this site (and did I mention a GOOD test kit?) it's been smooth sailing.

techguy said:
Don't buy test strips. The cheap one I spoke of its this one, $22.47 online and in stores

0007318791905_150X150.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668

Thanks, I will get this one!

Since my pool on the cloudy side, like the first day, I have an excuse! :mrgreen:

I had to add water to it yesterday and whatever is in our city water is cloudy. I don't let the kids drink the tap water. I put a filter on the kitchen tap and it had rocks in the filter when we changed it. If you fill up a glass its VERY cloudy and you can see particles floating in it. Yuck!

After you buy that kit, go directly to http://tftestkits.net and buy these reagents:

R-0003
R-0870
R-0871
R-0013
Little blue scoop - $.15

You can buy the tiny Taylor refills, or the larger more economical TFT refills. Both are available at TFTestkits.net The smaller bottles will save a little money, if that's really an issue. You can price both on the TFTestkits website.

When you have these reagents on hand, your kit is complete. For less than $50 total. The HTH kit uses different reagents for TA and CH than you would get in a Taylor or TFTestkits kit, but they work well enough for these purposes.

The items in Frog's message allow you to accurately measure the Chlorine in the pool during the shocking process. Most of the ones in the HTH kit will be used every day.

You may think you don't need the TFT items until you need to put or measure more than 5 PPM CL in your pool. This occurs on a regular basis and everytime you get any green or cloudy conditions... this can be daily with a high needs pool or less if you are very good with your CL. Either way, when you need it, you need the FAS-DPD test today or you could have a green mess by the time you get it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool. TF100 a close second.... Just saying.

and tell the DH *he* gets to do the brushing..... :lol:

I know it is hard to justify the money for the 'good kit'. We have three kids too. But lemme tell ya, after watching a friend put $800 worth of chem in her pool, and her kids *still* not swimming, not to mention the trips to the 'pool store', I was looking for a better way. Read thru a few of the 'green pool' threads around here. Dead animals, rotting leaves, blown up pumps, fill/refill cycles, brushing constantly, .... no thanks. I spent the money now, cause I knew in the long run it would save me ten times that. This pool thing is not supposed to be a stressful thing. It's for enjoying, laughing, playing with your kids. Thats what it's all about - at least for me anyways. And the quicker, easier, less costly path is on TFP. When the algae happens, it comes on fast. It's good to be *ahead* of it.

Good times ahead, stay focused on that.....