Noise in pipes a few hours after pump shuts off

Jul 1, 2018
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am so frustrated. New problem now. Every thing is running fine. No water leaks. Suction good on pump start up. No bubbles in return lines to pool. A couple of hours after pump shuts off the pipes start up making a noise like water is running. I dont know where its originating from. I can hear it in the pipe thats coming from the check valve before the filter all the way to the jandy two way diverter valve that is on the suction side. Could it be a slow leak in the check valve causing this problem? Or something else? Again no air bubbles in pool returns. Cant see if bubbles in pump basket becsuse it doesnt have a see through lid. Any insight would be appreciated. Pics below
20180718_094253.jpg20180717_082601.jpg20180717_082524.jpg

Even though you don't see a leak, that gurgling sound of water moving is indicative of a tiny leak somewhere that is pulling-inair and the system is equalizing as water and air compete for space in the lines. Those plunger valves have seals that can go bad over time and/or require inspection and lube. That might be one place to start when you get ready. Another might be those 3-way valves to check those O-rings. If your filter has a pressure gauge on top that you twist to burp air, don't forget that too.

If the o rings in that bacck wash valve had a small leak wouldnt that ortega check valve right before the filter which is circled in the picture keep the water from flowing back?
Perhaps, unless as you mentioned in your first post that check valve is bad. Those inline check valves don't get a lot of favorable reviews just because there is no way to inspect or service them. So if you do ever decide to open the line to look, you might consider replacing with a check valve that has a clear lens, can be opened/inspected, and re-lubed (O-ring) in the future.

Thank you for your response
The check valve is able to be serviced
Unscrew the lid and check the spring and valve seat
Which we have done. The valve seat was bad so we replaced it. I am now wondering if the housing is worn out. It didnt look like it when we inspected it, but that doesnt mean there wasnt a miniscule defect that was unnoticeable. A tiny little part thats keeping the valve from sealing. I wish they still made them this valve has done this pool over 4 decades of service with only having to replace the valve seat a few times. It is the original one from build in 1974 just like the pump. Purex ortega spring check valve and aqua flo a series single spped bronze pump. They dont make things to last like they used to. Lol... what kind of check valve would you recomend as a replacement? It needs to be a 90 degree 2" valve as we dont want to repace any plumming until there are issues. Pool company guys scratch their head when they see the set up because all the suction and return piping is installed so tightly together. Our pool builder who always fixed problems has unfortunately passed away. Even if he was still ive he would be about the 95 years old.

Jandy makes a 90 degree like THIS ONE. I see your point about the lack of space. If/when you ever decide to replace, some plumbing changes might be required. But before you go into that valve, I would probably consider a rebuild kit for that plunger/backwash valve. No plumbing required, so just a bit of time to uninstall, disassemble the valve, install new seals/rings, lube, and reassemble. That might be the culprit if you aren't seeing any other possible sources for an air leak in the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.