Noise at pump after cleaning filter cartridges

Maybe both drain plugs are leaking.

The front one can suck in air if it is leaking.
I am going to replace both of them - new knobs, new o-rings, and new Magic Lube on it's way. Should I avoid running the pump in the meantime? Does that noise sound more like bearings than cavitation?

Given his expertise and knowledge, I am leery of questioning whether he installed the wrong size pump / filter combo or that the configuration for the plumbing is incorrect. Is there any chance he did the 90 degree elbow ON PURPOSE to slow down the flow of water through the pump in order to make the pump/filter combo work well together?
I found an installation manual for your pump - see link Refer to Installation Heading (pg 1) and subsection PIPING point #6
Below is the specific wording (from pt #6) regarding plumbing to the inlet of the pump.

For most installations Pentair recommends installing a valve on both the pump suction and return lines so that the pump
can be isolated during routine maintenance. However, we also recommend a valve, elbow or tee installed in the suction line
should be no closer to the front of the pump than five (5) times the suction line diameter.

Example: A 2 inch pipe requires a 10 inch (25.4 cm) straight run in front of the suction inlet of the pump. This will help the pump
prime faster and last longer.

Note: Do not install 90° elbows directly into the pump inlet or outlet

Reactions: JessM
The operations manual I linked earlier also shows a full parts list, disassemble & assembly instructions. You would need to verify your model number to select the right parts. So if you are up to it, and as suggested by others, you may need to change out the seal and bearings or have someone do it for you.

There's plenty of room for correction. Turn the filter clockwise 90 degrees. Turn the pump counter clockwise 90 degrees so that the suction has a straight run into the pump adding 12 inches. Rotate the filter/waste valve 180 degrees and pipe the pump outlet that way and still leaves you plenty of room for a future SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's plenty of room for correction. Turn the filter clockwise 90 degrees. Turn the pump counter clockwise 90 degrees so that the suction has a straight run into the pump adding 12 inches. Rotate the filter/waste valve 180 degrees and pipe the pump outlet that way and still leaves you plenty of room for a future SWCG.
One additional item - put a union before and after the pump which will make any future maintenance easier to remove the pump for servicing or storage(if needed).

In my opinion, the 90 issue is not a big deal.

Plenty of pumps are plumbed that way with no issues.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions to keep them happy, but my opinion is that it is irrelevant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.