NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello! This is first year opening pool on my own and have just gotten to turning on system to find that no water is flowing. Steps I have taken thus far;

1. Cleaned filter and replaced grids
2. Removed plugs from skimmers and returns
3. Replaced plugs on pump and filter
4. Filled filter basket with water
5. Set system to waste just remove initial bit of water

Once I turn on no water comes out and SWC reads bad flow. What did I miss? I turned valves to what I believe is open position. Scared to leave it on without water clearly flowing.

Y
Katie,

Please show us several pics of your equipment pad, and maybe we can spot something.

Do you hear the pump running?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, yes I can hear it running. Here are photos and thank you!

Attachments

• 82606AB3-5DBF-40D1-A4A3-47200AB6050C.jpeg
    82606AB3-5DBF-40D1-A4A3-47200AB6050C.jpeg
    793.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 79ED5E71-2F61-4E1B-9953-6583CAB7A84A.jpeg
    79ED5E71-2F61-4E1B-9953-6583CAB7A84A.jpeg
    680.4 KB · Views: 25
Katie,

The two valves in front of your pump allow the pump to suck water from the Skimmer, and either the main drain or a vacuum port.

Since both valves are closed, no water will ever flow into the pump.

Do you know what each valve controls? Is it written on the pipes anywhere?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Katie,

You have the two water inputs from the pool shut off...

Notice the word "off" on the handle's fat end?

Thanks,

Jim R.
These ones are incorrect? And nothing written on the pipes. The ones closer to the pump with blue handle I believe are open

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 15
Katie,

Yes, both of those valves are closed or off.

To open the valve on the left, rotate the handle so that it is horizontal.

To open the valve on the right, rotate the handle so that it points down and the word off points straight up.

That will open both valves 100%. If we can determine what the valves control, we can try to fine tune their settings.

Open them both and tell us what happens.

The blue ball valves are ok..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Katie,

To open the valve on the right, rotate the handle so that it points down and the word off points straight up.

That will open both valves 100%. If we can determine what the valves control, we can try to fine tune their settings.

Thanks,

Jim R.
For some reason valve on the right can only turn to left or right to be in line with pipe but off pointing to side.
Katie,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim. Feel like an idiot 🤦‍♀️ water is now flowing.

The right valve though can’t go in to position you instructed as it’s blocked off so can turn it horizontal but can’t get off to point up.

I do feel like the water coming out (as it was set to waste ) isn’t super significant as I’ve seen in the past. But might just not be remember right. It’s flowing for sure just not gushing.

Lastly the left valve slightly drips I am now seeing. So I guess a new issue of course.

Attachments

• A9DF3186-5D8B-43DD-A7DB-51B74C0BD2E6.jpeg
    A9DF3186-5D8B-43DD-A7DB-51B74C0BD2E6.jpeg
    708.2 KB · Views: 12
Here is photo of the drip.

Also - water smells very bad. Is that abnormal for when opening?

Attachments

• EAB10B2E-4C8D-4888-A9C8-5EF2BCE5FB16.jpeg
    EAB10B2E-4C8D-4888-A9C8-5EF2BCE5FB16.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 10
Katie,

Let's shut off the valve on the right and see what happens.. Move the handle on the valve on the right so that it points up (where it was in your first pic.)

Tell me what the flow looks like.

I'm a little worried that the handle on the valve on the left is not on the valve correctly.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Katie,

Let's shut off the valve on the right and see what happens.. Move the handle on the valve on the right so that it points up (where it was in your first pic.)

Tell me what the flow looks like.

I'm a little worried that the handle on the valve on the left is not on the valve correctly.

Jim R.
Flow increased a bit once I turned right valve. When I have had pool company here before they’ve noted that the valves are confusing and the shallow end filter has significantly less suction than deep end. Also to note the pool has 2 drains - one in shallow, one in deep.

So seems like the water flow is good (salt cell still says red for bad flow though). Will consolidate my follow up questions.

1. Do I need to replace the valve completely though since it’s got a small leak? And that’s the same valve you have concerns about.
2. I just stopped doing anything since sun had gone down but do you think I should move on to switching to filter, adding DE, and letting it run a bit before testing? (Probably depends on your answer to #1)
2. Is it normal for water coming out through waste to smell bad? When next to pool or even when I had to reach in to undo plugs I didn’t notice smell. Sorta odd?

Jim, thanks again!

Katie,

If you run the pump for very long in the waste setting, you'll lower the water in the pool where the skimmer(s) won't work.

Not sure why it would smell at the waste port and not at the pool itself.

When you say "the pool has two drains, one in the deep and one in the shallow end" I want to understand what you actually have

Skimmers are up right at the water line and allow water to come from the pool, through a basket, and back to the pump. Do you have one or two Skimmers?

Drains are normally installed at the very bottom of the pool and have a grate like cover. How many drains do you have? You could have none, one, or two.

The leaking valve may just need to be rebuilt or it may be cracked and need to be replaced.

I think it makes sense to get the water moving correctly before we add any DE.

Tomorrow you can try this test.

Turn the right valve so that the handle is pointed straight right. That will shut off any water from the left valve and fully open the right valve. This means water will only come up from the right pipe and into the pump. I'd like to know how the pump works in that configuration.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Katie,

If you run the pump for very long in the waste setting, you'll lower the water in the pool where the skimmer(s) won't work.

Not sure why it would smell at the waste port and not at the pool itself.

When you say "the pool has two drains, one in the deep and one in the shallow end" I want to understand what you actually have

Skimmers are up right at the water line and allow water to come from the pool, through a basket, and back to the pump. Do you have one or two Skimmers?

Drains are normally installed at the very bottom of the pool and have a grate like cover. How many drains do you have? You could have none, one, or two.

The leaking valve may just need to be rebuilt or it may be cracked and need to be replaced.

I think it makes sense to get the water moving correctly before we add any DE.

Tomorrow you can try this test.

Turn the right valve so that the handle is pointed straight right. That will shut off any water from the left valve and fully open the right valve. This means water will only come up from the right pipe and into the pump. I'd like to know how the pump works in that configuration.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Will test in morning. Water level is high so I think I’ve got a bit to play with.

Pool has 2 skimmers and 2 drains. 1 each in both shallow end and deep end.

Leak looks like it’s coming from the black piece. You can just barely see in this image. I’m not sure what rebuilt means but will search other threads here

Attachments

• AA51C14E-B662-461F-8702-D8504431B7A1.jpeg
    AA51C14E-B662-461F-8702-D8504431B7A1.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Katie,

Jandy valves have several internal seals that can be replaced if they are leaking.

If the black case of the Jandy valve is cracked, then seals will not fix it,

I can see the leak in your pic but can't tell exactly where the water is coming from.

Is your pool equipment below the water level of your pool? Was the pic taken when the pump was running or off?

Since you have two skimmers, then most likely each valve control one of the skimmers, but no way to tell for sure without running some tests.

Tomorrow..

Jim R.

Katie,

Jandy valves have several internal seals that can be replaced if they are leaking.

If the black case of the Jandy valve is cracked, then seals will not fix it,

I can see the leak in your pic but can't tell exactly where the water is coming from.

Is your pool equipment below the water level of your pool? Was the pic taken when the pump was running or off?

Since you have two skimmers, then most likely each valve control one of the skimmers, but no way to tell for sure without running some tests.

Tomorrow..

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Ran the test this morning and determined which valve is to which skimmer. When they are in the proper open positions water seems to flow well.
  • Left valve is to shallow end skimmer and is in open position when perpendicular to the pipe, closed when handle pointing down and OFF at top
  • Right valve is to the deep end skimmer and is in open position when perpendicular to the pipe, closed when handle pointing up and OFF at bottom
Pool equipment is below the water level of the pool. Leak is a small, steady stream when systems on. When system off it is barely noticeable.

I am pretty confident that the leak on the Jandy Valve is coming from a hairline crack just under where the handle area is. I attached another photo to show. With that, I think that the whole valve needs to be replaced, no? And if so, do you think thats a DIY project or is it time to call someone in?

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• File (2).jpg
    File (2).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6769.jpg
    IMG_6769.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Katie,

Just depends on how handy you are...

Here is what I recommend, no matter who does it.

1. Replace both valves with 2-way valves. (Right now, the one on left is a 2-way valve and the one on the right is a 3-way valve, which makes no sense.)
2. Position both valves so that they both look like the valve on the left. This will allow you to have better control over the water flow and the right valve will only control the right pipe instead of both pipes.

Please let me know if this does not make sense...

Good job on finding out what each valve controls. :goodjob:

Most likely, your floor drains are plumbed into the bottom of each skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Katie,

Just depends on how handy you are...

Here is what I recommend, no matter who does it.

1. Replace both valves with 2-way valves. (Right now, the one on left is a 2-way valve and the one on the right is a 3-way valve, which makes no sense.)
2. Position both valves so that they both look like the valve on the left. This will allow you to have better control over the water flow and the right valve will only control the right pipe instead of both pipes.

Please let me know if this does not make sense...

Good job on finding out what each valve controls. :goodjob:

Most likely, your floor drains are plumbed into the bottom of each skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for recommendation. Going to YouTube and gauge how confident we are on fixing.

Last question - do you think it’s bad idea to duck tap crack and start treating water (need to slam)? Or should we just get replacements done before?

Thanks. One thought- could I just close that valve and run it all through the deep end ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.