No suction when vacuuming to filter

Dallz

May 14, 2017
Montreal Quebec
I posted this issue before but it's still not resolved.

When I vacuum to filter I get almost no suction. When I vacuum on WASTE I get crazy suction.
Agreed that this indicates an issue with my filter or pump ...we cleaned out our sand filter as suggested with a hose for hours. My pump basket is clean. Still no suction. Here is some info that may help troubleshoot:

- 2 holes in my skimmer, left is main drain and right is main line both are unblocked
- no matter which mode I vacuum on air bubbles shoot out of skimmer when I unblock the vacuum hose
-I don't have a pressure gauge to indicated pressure but usually backwash for 3 mins then rinse

I can't keep vacuuming to waste and refilling water, especially with a heater and my water balanced...please help! This needs to be resolved once and for all!

Thanks

Are you using a skimmer plate or plugging the hose straight into the hole?

If a plate, the pump finds it easier to draw from the main drain than to go through the restrictions and twists of the hose. I have the same problem, so I have to plug into the hole. Not what I'd prefer, but luckily I don;t get a lot opf leaves in my pool to clog the pipes.

Hi richard I don't quite understand what you mean!?
I do use a plate. There are two holes in my skimmer, the right one is supposed to be main line and left one is main drain. Both are unplugged and plate is used for vacuuming...
Can you clarify what you mean by plugging the hole? Is that plugging the drain? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using a skimmer plate or plugging the hose straight into the hole?

If a plate, the pump finds it easier to draw from the main drain than to go through the restrictions and twists of the hose. I have the same problem, so I have to plug into the hole. Not what I'd prefer, but luckily I don;t get a lot opf leaves in my pool to clog the pipes.

Also I don't have many leaves right now it's just small debris (dust like) at bottom including a couple of worms...

Hi richard I don't quite understand what you mean!?
I do use a plate. There are two holes in my skimmer, the right one is supposed to be main line and left one is main drain. Both are unplugged and plate is used for vacuuming...
Can you clarify what you mean by plugging the hole? Is that plugging the drain? Thanks!
I plug the vacuum hose directly into the suction hole using an adaptor-- a PVC threaded coupling -- since the hose collar is smaller than the hole. Then I get 100% pump suction on the vacuum.

I plug the vacuum hose directly into the suction hole using an adaptor-- a PVC threaded coupling -- since the hose collar is smaller than the hole. Then I get 100% pump suction on the vacuum.

OK so when you do this, there's no basket to protect main line, correct? Also forgive me for not fully understanding, but how do you put the main vacuum line directly in the hole WITH the adapter? My adapter makes it so it's one hole, unless you have a mini adapter plate (only thing I can picture )

OK so when you do this, there's no basket to protect main line, correct? Also forgive me for not fully understanding, but how do you put the main vacuum line directly in the hole WITH the adapter? My adapter makes it so it's one hole, unless you have a mini adapter plate (only thing I can picture )

When you put the plate on, you have one suction line underneath, one line to the drain, and one line to the vacuum hose. It's easier to draw through a relatively short smooth wide pipe than a long ribbed twisty hose, so the majority of the suction goes to the drain, not the vacuum. In my case, I get basically no suction the the vacuum, so the skimmer plate I bought is useless and I trashed it.

I remove the skimmer basket -- not ideal, but luckily I don't get a lot of leaf buildup -- and plug the hose into the suction port in the bottom of the skimmer using this
attachment.php

As it turns out, the tailpiece broke and isn't needed after all. The hose collar friction fits nicely into the threads and the rest of it sits right in the bole in the bottom of the skimmer but doesn't get sucked it. There's always the fear that something will get caught in the underground pipes, but as I said, I don't get a lot of buildup. Less than a handful from the pump basket when I'm done.

If you are concerned about leaves, you can get an inline leaf canister that attaches to the vacuum hose before the skimmer. I also insert the vacuum hose directly into the skimmer suction and use an inline leaf canister since I get a ton of leaves in my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.