Dec 14, 2020
Houston, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP.
Our pool is a relatively new build and was built without a dedicated suction line. Apparently our pool builder thought the Venturi skimmer didn’t need to be plumbed to suction. We have a 15,000 gallon in ground chlorine pool w StoneScapes plaster using Hayward equipment. We have one single skimmer. We have had a recurring algae problem and are wondering if this a potential factor. Pool is just now one year old. Our current pool co seems perplexed by the algae problem but also states it’s incredibly uncommon to have no suction line. Is it necessary and can anything be done about this? We have had problem after problem unfortunately with our build. Pool was replastered this week.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For clarity, you do not have a bottom drain? Do you have a pump? Is it just the skimmer is not plumbed to the suction side of the pump (assuming you have a pump). How do you chlorinate your pool?
Show a picture of your pool and your equipment pad.

P,

Show us a pic of your equipment pad...

It is impossible for a pool to not have a "suction" line.. I think we maybe have a "nomenclature" problem...

Do you mean you do not have a dedicated vacuum line?

Your pump has to get water from somewhere...

While plumbing can cause minor issues, most algae blooms are caused by chemical issues and have nothing to do with the plumbing.

Tell us how your pool is chlorinated and if you have any "magic" items , like UV or Ozone equipment.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Our skimmer is only plumbed with a Venturi , no vacuum or suction line in the skimmer. It’s a paramount skimmer. Pool was just restarted after the replaster so it’s a bit on the green side.

Attachments

• 9B9008A5-B9DE-4E55-BA3D-C4CB90E84DCA.jpeg
    9B9008A5-B9DE-4E55-BA3D-C4CB90E84DCA.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 4A037226-0AEF-44C6-BB4C-265F980BB095.jpeg
    4A037226-0AEF-44C6-BB4C-265F980BB095.jpeg
    657.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 8E4DCA77-293C-4802-B1CB-6CFEC8F6B263.jpeg
    8E4DCA77-293C-4802-B1CB-6CFEC8F6B263.jpeg
    677.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
We have had a recurring algae problem and are wondering if this a potential factor. Pool is just now one year old.
This is likely occurring because you have a chlorine tablet (puck) feeder as your chlorinating system. Your CYA has probably risen extremely high and your free chlorine is not effective to kill the algae. You need to post test data of your CYA, the FC, CH and TA.
Please read - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Recommended Levels

You may want to post a picture at ground level of your plumbing as you have several valves and pipes on the return side. Do you have all of those marked as to where they lead to?

This looks a lot like my skimmer (when the basket and built in mesh screen is removed). Is it a Paramount?

If so, you should be able to drop the non-rotating end of a vac line into the suction hole at the bottom. You can put your hand way down there to feel which one is pulling.

I didn't have any luck finding a plate that fit, but tried that and it worked. If you do it this way, I would recommend an in-line leaf canister with a filter sock so that everything is not going straight to your filter media.

I just saw that one of your posts does confirm it is the Paramount. FYI - I love this skimmer. It is deeper than most, has the built in screen that traps pollen and dog hair fantastically. There is both a suction line and a return line plumbed to this. Since you don't have a main-drain, there will be at least one port that is closed off.

I am wondering if they did not run the "optional" return line to it and that is where the confusion is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suggest you consider an electric robot as your cleaner.
Go to Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio
We use a Tiger Shark and it works well! I am hearing feedback from our pool service co that these are needed for specific ch
This looks a lot like my skimmer (when the basket and built in mesh screen is removed). Is it a Paramount?

If so, you should be able to drop the non-rotating end of a vac line into the suction hole at the bottom. You can put your hand way down there to feel which one is pulling.

I didn't have any luck finding a plate that fit, but tried that and it worked. If you do it this way, I would recommend an in-line leaf canister with a filter sock so that everything is not going straight to your filter media.
those two grey holes are non functional and covered in Gunite.

Inside the skimmer Other two openings not plumbed

P,

Are the two pipes at the bottom of your skimmer at least plugged?

I assume your main pump, (the one with the automated valve) gets water from the pool's main drain or the Spa's floor drain... Is that true?

Is the other pump just for your waterfall wall???

As you have said, very odd that the skimmer does not have a suction line going back to the pump.. That said, the skimmers job is to ... skim the debris off the surface of the pool. It really should not have an effect on whether you get algae or not.

You have algae because your "pool company" is not keeping your FC where it needs to be, based upon your CYA level.. See this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Tell us what your CYA (stabilizer) level is and what your normal FC level is..

We could help you get your pool turned around... There is little we can do to turn around your pool maintenance company... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pics..

Jim R.

those two grey holes are non functional and covered in Gunite
I am quite sure it was plumbed incorrectly. I would be willing to bet that your PB connected suction to the wrong port.

Do you have any pictures of it during the install? The above link describes the installation.

Looking at that a little more... PG 6 of the manual does show an optional way to install without using pump suction line. I do not understand why it would be done this way, unless it is just a secondary skimmer somewhere and you are using the basket to remove debris from the top of the pool. So you must have main drains or another skimmer somewhere to get water to the pump.

In any case, this isn't causing your algae issue.

Additional pics. I’m real curious if you all see some indication there is a line that should feed to skimmer. I sure appreciate all the comments this far.

Attachments

• 8E51F33D-DA94-429B-8DDD-97765E9C12B5.jpeg
    8E51F33D-DA94-429B-8DDD-97765E9C12B5.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 10
  • E0EC9903-7A24-43A5-BCB3-D5DAD98E69C3.jpeg
    E0EC9903-7A24-43A5-BCB3-D5DAD98E69C3.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 343EB5E1-FE01-49C5-BA11-1E015AFBFE5D.jpeg
    343EB5E1-FE01-49C5-BA11-1E015AFBFE5D.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 49FB4520-0430-433E-A6CA-6462CA9A6BD3.jpeg
    49FB4520-0430-433E-A6CA-6462CA9A6BD3.jpeg
    638.3 KB · Views: 10
The link I put above does show a way to not have suction - it uses a return to cause the venturi effect, which swirls the water through the skimmer and then back into the pool underneath.

Your 3rd and 4th picture show that there are two suction side sources going to the pump. Likely one is for the spa and one for the pool main drain. One of them appears mostly turned off when the picture was taken.

You do have drains in the floor of pool and spa - right?

The link I put above does show a way to not have suction - it uses a return to cause the venturi effect, which swirls the water through the skimmer and then back into the pool underneath.

Your 3rd and 4th picture show that there are two suction side sources going to the pump. Likely one is for the spa and one for the pool main drain. One of them appears mostly turned off when the picture was taken.

You do have drains in the floor of pool and spa - right?
I do have large circular drains in both pool and spa. Is there a setting that is incorrect on the floor drains line for spa or pool

Is there harm in not having the skimmer with a vacuum/suction line and if so, is it something that can be added later? Our skimmer is a mess. Paramount rep was out to check the height it was places. It’s set about 2-3” too low and well…that alone has also caused all sorts of issues. Paramount rep assured us it’s “functional” but we surely didn’t get what we paid for!

Is there a setting that is incorrect
Probably not. If you turn the spa on - it will should rotate to the other position.

Regarding the rest. I don't understand why they wouldn't have plumbed suction to the skimmer. It should work to get debris off the top of the water. However, you mentioned it is a couple inches low. If it is lower than the waterline, then debris will get caught above the opening and it will be doing practically nothing.

You really don't have a backup to your robot, if it decides to take a little time off for repairs.

Again, all of this is strange, but not related to algae.

I’m real curious if you all see some indication there is a line that should feed to skimmer. I
As stated earlier by @Tcadwall0 you only show 2 lines that feed your main circulation pump. One is from the spa main drain and the other is from the pool main drain (most likely). Unless the skimmer is connected to the main drain suction line underground there appears no visible line for suction from the skimmer.

Your water feature pump has a dedicated suction line and 2 returns controlled by that single valve. Can you see where the suction is located in the pool? Do you have a wall suction (looks like a main drain but on positioned on the wall)? What are the 2 water features that are connected to the dedicated water feature pump?

On the return side you have several lines. To the left of the automated valve would be the return to the spa. Now going to the right, it appears there are 2 pipes controlled by individual valves, then your chlorinato, then the final pipe must be the pool returns. Do you know what those 2 pipes go to that are undefined? It is hard to see in the pictures, but it appears they go back underground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.