No suction in skimmers

MPJolly

May 23, 2020
NJ
Hello. I have no flow in my pool after opening it. The pump motor was just changed.
Here is the behavior with the different modes of the multi-port valve:
- Filter: no flow from the jets, no suction in the skimmers.
- Recirculation: no flow from the jets, no suction in the skimmers.
- Waste: Some suction in the skimmers. Water comes out on the waste side.
If the recirculation mode bypasses the filter and there is no flow from the jets and no suction in the skimmers. Doesn't that mean that the filter is not the problem?

So based on the lack of water movement, even on recirculate, you may have a clog in the suction line. Two skimmers? First skimmer feeds the second perhaps (2 holes in bottom)? No main drain? Water level in pool should be high enough. Have you tried pushing water backwards from the pump to the skimmer? Maybe see if there is a partial clog with something jammed in there just enough to interrupt flow?

Water happens to water in the pump basket if you fill it? I can't make out those valves in the pic. Are they standard 3-way manual valves, or auto-actuated? I don't see a spa in your signature.

Texas Splash: Yes, 2 skimmers (2 holes? not really, one is a hole, but the other is not really a hole, is it?), 2 drains in the deep end. I don't have a spa, I have a poor man spa, a seat with some jets there. On the return, the first two lines go to the seat, then there is a valve that I can close to get powerful jets in the seats, then there are 3 lines to go to the return jets.
Yes, the water level is plenty high. I have not sent water from the pump back to the skimmers. I need a drain king for that and I don't have any. If I just put the hose there, there's nothing going to the skimmers.
When I put my hand in the hole in the skimmer, I feel a little bit of suction when the valve is in waste, but nothing in recirculate or filter.

It should, but I'm also wondering if you may be dealing with more than one issue. When was the last time you inspected the multiport valve? Does the handle have some resistance when you switch settings? Have you opened it up and inspected the spider gasket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should, but I'm also wondering if you may be dealing with more than one issue. When was the last time you inspected the multiport valve? Does the handle have some resistance when you switch settings? Have you opened it up and inspected the spider gasket?
The valve looks ok, it's not that hard to move around. Here are some pictures.
How can I test it? Can I send some water to the different pipes coming out of it?

Attachments

• IMG-0452.jpg
    IMG-0452.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-0453.jpg
    IMG-0453.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-0454.jpg
    IMG-0454.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 6
You could try inserting a water hose into each pipe opening you can reach in the multiport and turn on the water. When you put it in the line coming from the pump you should see water bubbling through the skimmer and/or main drain. When you put it in the line that goes to the filter you should see water coming out the returns. The flow will not have a lot of pressure behind it, this is just to see if water can get through. If you have more than one return you might try plugging all but one for the flow test.

You could try inserting a water hose into each pipe opening you can reach in the multiport and turn on the water. When you put it in the line coming from the pump you should see water bubbling through the skimmer and/or main drain. When you put it in the line that goes to the filter you should see water coming out the returns. The flow will not have a lot of pressure behind it, this is just to see if water can get through. If you have more than one return you might try plugging all but one for the flow test.

This is an inground pool, the pipes are long. Don't I need a lot of pressure from my garden hose to send water all the way back to the skimmer?

With the gauge reading 30psi, something is flowing. The water to generate that pressure has to come from somewhere. It also says the filter is at least mostly blocked. That could be from a filter issue or a multiport issue. Either way, you are chasing the wrong problem looking for a skimmer line clog.

In filter mode, it says 30 psi.
In recirculate mode, it says 0 psi, but that's normal, right?
Zero while on recirculate - sure. But that's a fairly significant psi reading if you ask me. But perhaps not so critical at the moment because going back to your comment about recirculate ..... water should flow into the pump & out of the returns freely if you bypass the filter. That doesn't seem to be happening, so that's still odd.

You mentioned in post 1 changing the motor. Who changed it? Did the old motor work at all when you opened? I'm curious if something was not reassembled correctly during the motor swap (i.e diffuser, impeller, etc)? If the motor assembly is ruled-out as good, then you must have some sort of blockage coming in or going out. Suction blockage would be more logical.

Zero while on recirculate - sure. But that's a fairly significant psi reading if you ask me. But perhaps not so critical at the moment because going back to your comment about recirculate ..... water should flow into the pump & out of the returns freely if you bypass the filter. That doesn't seem to be happening, so that's still odd.

You mentioned in post 1 changing the motor. Who changed it? Did the old motor work at all when you opened? I'm curious if something was not reassembled correctly during the motor swap (i.e diffuser, impeller, etc)? If the motor assembly is ruled-out as good, then you must have some sort of blockage coming in or going out. Suction blockage would be more logical.
Suction blockage would give you 0 psi at all settings

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.