No Salt Lights - No Chlorine Generation

Hugh Tyck

Apr 25, 2019
San Mateo, Ca
Intellichlor IC40. Neither salt light is on. The cell light is blinking. I have acid washed the cells 3 times....no effect. I called Pentair. They asked if the cells are black and said if they are black that I had super chlorinated too much. I don't think I did. I just push the super chlorinate button a few times a year. I doesn't make sense to me that the salt lights would show nothing. So, do I now have a $700 boat anchor? This is the second IC40 I have had. The new one shows less than 20% usage. It would be cheaper for me just to buy chlorine.

Hugh,

How old is the cell? Salt cells, even when installed by the owner, are warrantied for 2 years... There does not seem to be an exclusion for being black...

We recommend NEVER using the super chlorinate button. If you are using that you are just using up the cell for no reason. We suggest just adding Liquid chlorine for any quick boost.

Acid washing should only be done if you can visually see scale. Acid washing just uses up more of the cell. In theory you should not have any scale if your chemicals are keep at the right balance.

You left off some info... How big is your pool in gallons?
How long do you normally run your pump in the middle of the summer?
What % of output do you normally run in the middle of the summer?
When you did acid wash, did you use Muriatic Acid and was it diluted?
What is the current actual salt level of the water in your pool.. (Not what the IC40 thinks it is..)

As a side note, I have a couple of IC40's at rent house that have been running 24/7 for 6 or 7 years without any issues..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.