No pressure after sand replacement

Amor1210

May 2, 2019
Nj
So I’ve never had a sand filter and just bought this house. I have a Hayward sand filter and I just recently vacuumed it all out and put fresh sand in it. I went to turn pump on to do a backwash and I have zero pressure. The pool was closed for the winter and I connected everything back and removed any pool plugs. What am I missing?

If you have flow but show zero pressure, you have a bad gauge. If they freeze, they're ruined.

If it all worked great until you messed with it, maybe you hooked the hoses up backwards? Just guessing about hoses because you haven't filled out your signature.

It also can take what seems like an eternity to prime a pump. If any of the O-rings for the drain plugs or the filter basket were lost, it will never prime.

I went to the pool store told them the size filter and they told me 4 bags. I filled filter with water and the tank in the motor with water. The water never comes in from the pool to the pump. I have used a vacuum to see if there is any blockage from the pool lines t the motor and there arent. Here are the pictures of the current set up. 995639956499566

If you have flow but show zero pressure, you have a bad gauge. If they freeze, they're ruined.

If it all worked great until you messed with it, maybe you hooked the hoses up backwards? Just guessing about hoses because you haven't filled out your signature.

It also can take what seems like an eternity to prime a pump. If any of the O-rings for the drain plugs or the filter basket were lost, it will never prime.
I haven't touched any hoses and i can see the taking entirety to pump but i would assume the motor should be pulling water from the pool and that isn't. So that's why i'm leading to a pressure issue. I just removed the sand and left the inside stem in tact and filled water half way then added sand. I put the top back on and opened all valves and turned it on to the backwash.

I

Oh sorry misunderstood. I put the valve back to orginal position and put everything back in case i need to call a pool guy to come open it and show its left where the closing guy left it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The three way valve at the suction is open. That Hayward valve is backwards from other valves.

Did the pump drain plugs get installed?

Did you remove the gizmos or plugs from the skimmer?

Did the chlorinator get installed?

Did the filter drain cap get installed?

Do you have a picture of the gauge face?

The three way valve at the suction is open. That Hayward valve is backwards from other valves.

Did the pump drain plugs get installed?

Did you remove the gizmos or plugs from the skimmer?

Did the chlorinator get installed?

Did the filter drain cap get installed?

Do you have a picture of the gauge face?
Yes to all of them. I dont get the hayward valve backwards portion. You mean the one at the top of the filter itself?

I had to get a replacement sticker because the one before was all mangled. So could it be the sticker i was sent its wrong? It had a notched out spot but i was suspicious how things did look bit off.

I had to get a replacement sticker because the one before was all mangled. So could it be the sticker i was sent its wrong? It had a notched out spot but i was suspicious how things did look bit off.
For the Port1/Port2/1+2 valve? It's possible

I think Hayward valves handles "point" in the direction of the water flow
jandy_flow_valve.jpg

Last edited:
I dont get the hayward valve backwards portion. You mean the one at the top of the filter itself?
James was referring to the directional valve before the pump. With other valves, the handle end is open. But we must be missing something obvious here. Doesn't make sense to not get ANY water movement if all you did was change sand after vacuuming. Let's re-cap:
1. You said you vacuumed it all out THEN put fresh sand in it. Then you tried to to a backwash and got no pressure. Is that the correct sequence of events? Just want to confirm the timeline.
2. When you vacuumed, how bad was the pool at opening? Lots of leaves & junk? Any chance you got yourself a clump of junk in that suction line (clog)? You said you tried a vacuum, but perhaps that wasn't strong enough. What about water? Have you tried inserting a garden hose into the pump "inlet" hole, wrap the hose tightly with a wrag, and push water backwards towards the pool? If you have a water blaster bladder type product that's even better.
3. What happens if you fill the pump basket with water first before turning on the pump? Does the water move at all or just sit in the pump basket?
4 - Have you checked the pump impeller (power off) to ensure it spins freely?

The filter doesn't pull suction, but if the return lines in the pool are plugged, they might not allow flow.

The valve that you show next to the pump, is blocking water to the pump in it's current position. (unless you've turned it since that picture)
View attachment 99610
So your saying the 1/2 doesnt mean its allowing flow from both sides? The other direction says off if i rotate 180.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.