No power at the pump - did the freeze break it?

Aug 15, 2016
Tacoma, WA
We had an unfortunate fall/winter where the pool equipment didn’t get brought in as planned. We live in the Seattle area so it doesn’t freeze for a long time but at one point had 1 to 2 inches of ice on our above ground pool. Our freezes don’t last long, but we did get some pretty decent ones. I went out to turn on the equipment to start cleaning up the mess from having left it all winter (again unfortunate circumstances kept it from being properly winterized) and only the salt water filter will turn on. The pump won’t budge. Pushed the reset button and even got a new extension cord to try a different outlet and power source. Did we fry it/freeze it? Any suggestions for getting it to start up again? Or are we looking at having to buy a new pump?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 3
It's not so much that you fried it like an electrical issue, but residual moisture might have expanded during your freezes and damaged the pump/motor. If you are DIY handy, I suppose you could try to remove the pump/motor cover and look for anything visually abnormal. See if the impeller inside the pump pot even turns. Maybe it just got a bit rust and is stuck. Needs some help to release? But other than that, to my knowledge, there isn't much you can do with those Intex units. They are economical but don't have many repair options. Maybe a fellow Intext owner will reply with more ideas.

Have you checked, with a meter, whether or not there is power at the pump? You would have to open the cover (4 screws) on the top of the pump and carefully check for that. That's the only way to know for sure. If there is power and it doesn't run, new pump time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.